Azrael

His sword flashed in front of him, and the paladin felt the stone beneath his feet implode as the ghoul struck him. The flaming tongues burning in the sockets of the man seared into him. They showed intelligence he wasn't accustomed to seeing in the resurrected dead. He shouldn't be surprised, this thing had been left to defend Vastras' home. Her seat of magic.

It was strong, and fast. Faster than he had expected could be possible. He ducked to the side as he felt the sword blade shatter, spinning and slicing with the fractured handle, tearing into the side of the ghoul with a burst of rotten blood. Azrael pushed backwards, tossing a spell urgently to move him out of the way in time. The ghoul crashed into the ground with a shatter of stone fragments, turning to him, growling angrily as blood poured from the wound he'd opened.

This wasn't right.

Every ghoul he'd ever fought had been a rage-driven monster of instinct, true enough, but there had been something more. This one was intelligent, predicting his moves and able to defend against his magic, but it wasn't speaking. It wasn't trying to get inside his head, or threaten him. Whatever soul that possessing it didn't have full control of the body. It was just along for the ride.

He had to find a way to disable the body. If he could force the mind to take control, he could deceive it long enough that he could slay it. The mind was vulnerable, the monster outside was not. It would keep going, no matter what damage he did to it.