Azrael

Azrael winced as he sat upright, feeling a stabbing sensation in his gut. He waved tiredly at the nurse who rushed to his side, ignoring her. He knew more about what was wrong than she did. Magic was a cursed thing.

He stood up slowly, and rolled his shoulders loosely. By the wavering in his legs he wouldn't be wearing his armour any time soon. In fact, going into battle would likely endanger everyone else around him, rather than assist them. He would be a dead weight.

Azrael picked up his sword from the reverent pile of gear and strapped it to his side as he continued to ignore the panicked whispers of the nurse. Then he turned and walked out of the tent.

It took a moment for his eyes to adjust to the blazing sun overhead, but as they did he stared in horror at the city in front of him. The barrier was back, the aura of it radiating as boulders crashed down from overhead, shattering before turning to dust.

He turned and moved towards the commander's tent.

Azrael ignored the guard who attempted to block his way and tossed the flap aside. He paused, scrutinising the map pieces on the table as he entered. The man behind them, trying to plan a failing strategy, barely acknowledged him with a grunt. To be expected of his father.

He stepped forward and tapped a tavern to the east of the palace on the map, "Concentrate fire here."

The king raised an eyebrow, "And why should I listen to a man who failed to even keep the city?"

"This is where the Queen stored a good deal of her magic." Azrael replied, ignoring him, "There are other points throughout the city, but the automated defences would utilise this store first."

The king leaned forward on the map, "You can locate these stores?"

"The goddess may reveal them." Azrael shrugged, "However, I can assure you the defences are automatic, though intelligent. The Queen has left the city, and is engaged with the celestials."

The king clenched a fist, "Gods. It always has to come back to gods with you, doesn't it?"

The paladin didn't reply, and then tapped a sewer grate near one of the main walls, "This isn't here. It's under the wall. Have you checked the defences around it?"

"Boy. Answer me."

Azrael looked up at him tiredly, "Calis was the city of magic. If you thought you could attack it without involving those who are invested in its existence, then you were naive. The one who founded it, and forged every inch of its defences, may well be the most powerful witch to have ever lived. Sheer might alone is not enough to stop her, it will take cunning and understanding as well."

The king sighed heavily, "Those are brave words, boy."

"As are yours, king who has sworn to serve the goddess." Azrael replied firmly, "Or have you forgotten who it is I represent?"

The king seemed to grow old and tired for a moment, as if an endless winter had taken all the joy from his life, "I have never forgotten for a single moment who you represent, Azrael."

The paladin looked back to the map. His father's words were empty. They always had been. Not once had he turned them into reliable action, it was his advisers who did that. Advisers such as himself.

"If we are to win this war, we must find a way to cut off the flow of magic to the automated defence systems." Azrael rubbed his chin, "The easiest way to store magic is by harnessing crystals. I believe that Calis had an extensive mining operation, did they not?"

The king nodded, "Yes, the mines extend beneath the entirety of the town, but do not seem to go beyond the borders of the walls."

Azrael smiled, "Then that is where we need to begin. Do we have enough men to dig?"