Ashwen

The Fae was quiet as she cleaned the house, dusting and arranging the crystals containing the memories that her father could no longer retain. It wouldn't be very long until his rebirth. She wondered about that. He had not yet seen fit to name someone as his guardian the next life. She'd never had that opportunity yet. He had always been hers, but he always sort another to her. She'd never managed to make him proud of her, not proud enough to believe she had surpassed him.

There was a solid sound, and Ashwen turned, looking down the hall to the doorway in surprise. She hadn't expected any visitors today. Not with what the council was dealing with at the moment.

She drifted over lightly, and swung the door open, curtsying as she did.

"No need for that, Lady Ashwen."

She looked up in surprise at the blue-haired Fae, who smiled at her warmly, and she swallowed nervously, "Lord Arbiter."

He gestured, "May I come in?"

"Lord Ashwith is not home, at present." She replied tentatively and the Arbiter grinned, "That's fine by me, I came to see you, Lady Ashwen."

She stepped back from the doorway, slightly in shock and mostly in awe. The Arbiter was as high above her as she was an insect. That he considered her someone worthy of speaking to was news to her, and yet he hadn't sent a messenger to fetch her, he came in person, without an entourage, to speak to her in her home. He hadn't done this since he chose her a lifetime ago.

She nervously guided him to a sitting room, lit with the midday sun, and moved to the nearby kitchen to begin preparing tea. As she reached for the pot, she felt a hand catch hers, and looked sideways in surprise. The Arbiter smiled at her, "Enough, m'lady. You should sit, I am perfectly capable of preparing tea."

"You are my guest, sir." She replied in surprise, and he shrugged, "But you have clearly been on your feet all day. Allow me to take care of you."

She didn't feel like she had a choice. He was only asking, but his word was practically law. He and the Queen stood head and shoulders above all others. She curtsied and moved into the sitting room, sitting slowly and uncomfortably on a wooden chair by the small table. She looked out the window, not sure what to do with herself. No one had ever waited on her before. She had always played the role of servant.

She could see out the window, to the other houses in the street. The paint was cracked and peeling on most of them, and she could see a few houses that were beginning to show signs of structural stress. It was her duty to maintain the upkeep of this small realm, but she didn't have the magic to spare. Her father might, but he was rarely interested enough in the other Fae they shared the realm with, so it fell to her.

"Here we go." The Arbiter said with mirth, and she turned as he placed a silver platter in front of her, with a steaming cup of rose leaves and a small roasted peppermint leaf beside it on the saucer. She wasn't sure where he'd got either ingredient, she certainly didn't have any available.

"I summoned a few things from home." He answered her unspoken question, and then sat beside her, relaxing. He picked up his cup, and held it in both hands as he breathed in the fumes. "It's been a while since I took the time to appreciate these things."

Ashwen smiled nervously, picking up her own cup and sipping at the hot liquid. Her eyes sparkled as she tasted it. So this was what the rank of Arbiter gave you access to. It was astonishing. She idly wondered how expensive or difficult it was to summon something of this quality, and quickly reasoned it was far out of her reach.

"Lady Ashwen," he began, "I've come to ask a favour of you, to do with the upcoming nuptials of our queen."

She looked over at him in surprise, "A favour? How could I assist you, m'lord?"

"Tradition." He stated flatly, "It is tradition that the Arbiter attend the marriages of such high ranking officials with an entourage, of a sort. I have ignored it in recent generations, but this is a more important event than most. Now, more than ever, we must remember where we come from and what it means to be Fae."

Ashwen felt her heart move awkwardly as her anxiety skyrocketed. "Are you requesting that I be in this entourage?"

"I am requesting that you be the work of art that adorns my arm for the evening." The Arbiter replied with an easy smile, "I am requesting a chance, Lady Ashwen, to show that we might entertain a relationship. I do not wish this merely for tradition. I would say however, it is a wonderful excuse to finally ask you."

He was asking her out.

That he even remembered her name was news to her. She couldn't believe that he'd been looking for an excuse to ask her on a date. This had to be politics. The tight intrigues of state.

"I should point out, Lady Ashwen, I can hear your thoughts." The Arbiter whispered.

She turned red and quickly turned to stare out the window. "If this was just politics, Lady Ashwen, then I would not go to these efforts. A request would be made to you, and to Lord Ashwith, by messenger, that you accompany me on the set date. I would send an outfit or tailor, and expect you to appear at the given time, to be seen and not heard. That is not the case."

She swallowed nervously, not daring to look at him, "So then, what do you propose?"

"That once you have finished your tea, I escort you to the Elfin town of Eldrasa, where a tailor is waiting. He is excellently skilled, and will give you a dress that is unique. It will not be in the Fae style, but the elfs are quite well known for their grace and beauty. You will stand out in the crowd, radiant. If, you so choose."

Farr of Eldrasa. It had to be. The legendary tailor who had sewn a gods tears into a pearl necklace, once. The Arbiter was going all-out to impress her, and to show her he wasn't just doing this because she was Fae. He wanted someone to sit next to him at the wedding.

He was also showing that he knew more about her than she expected. She liked beautiful things, and had taken a liking to all things Elfin. She wasn't sure whether to be surprised, impressed or creeped out. He was known for his spy networks, though he'd always denied they existed.

"You do not need to call me, Arbiter."

She turned to look at him in surprise and he shrugged, "Call me, Janus, Lady Ashwen. And today, I am here to serve you, in whatever capacity you desire. My plans are flexible, for you."

She picked up the peppermint leaf and nibbled on it, and then resisted stuffing it in her mouth, pretending to be considering his offer. Not that pretence meant much when he could read her thoughts as well as he seemed able to. At least he wasn't as bad as Astrian. That woman always responded to what you thought before you could say it.

"I am not as skilled as Lady Astrian." Janus smiled, "That woman is an astonishing prodigy. I have no idea how she copes with hearing the internal monologue of an entire realm."

Ashwen stood up slowly, placing her tea regretfully on the saucer, "If we are to do this, and expect a possibility of more, Lord Arbiter, then you must show me you mean it."

He smiled, standing up, "You request a date, m'lady?"

"I do."