Summer

Summer breathed in deeply, sighing as she felt the light pass over her face. The light struck her skin, breaking apart as it struck the tiny crystals within it, forming the dust that covered her. Rejuvenated her.

She winced as she felt the skin on the back of her head shifting, stitching itself back together again. She opened her eyes, looking at the wooden roof slowly, and sat up. She touched her head gently, feeling the newly-formed skin.

"You're awake." A worried voice stated.

Summer smiled weakly as the memories came back with an urgent flood. "Sorry. I guess I was hungry myself... What time is it?"

"Early morning. The sun has just crested the mountains." His vague answer came back.

Summer rolled her eyes and flicked a speck of dust into the air, watching as it expanded, "The eighth hour. Not quite early."

She stood up, stretching as she unfurled her wings, touching the walls of her bedroom, and then she heard a thump. She looked over and saw the ghoul on the ground covering his eyes.

Summer glanced down at herself, and then laughed, "Does your kind not sleep naked?"

"No!" He said in embarrassment, "Also, how? I put you to bed with clothes on!"

She turned to the swirl of clothes and blankets on the bed that had formed her cocoon, "I guess I wriggled out of them. Are all humans so modest?"

"Most." She heard him say bitterly and she sighed, "Fine. I'll get dressed. Why don't you try and start a fire, so we can cook you something?"

The human shuffled nervously out of the room, trying not to look at her. Summer felt herself blushing, he really was a very sweet-natured soul. Her own modesty would probably return soon, but the early morning was a bit different for most Fae, as they emerged from their hibernation. She felt a pang of guilt - she'd passed out before she could help him find something to eat. He'd waited all night, on an empty stomach, and since the dust would have worn off, a very weak body.

She turned and opened her wardrobe, eyeing the dresses that had been laid out with distrust. She wasn't acting as Queen today. That had already been arranged. Instead she was supposed to be taking time to get to know the man she was going to marry.

Summer sighed and sank down on the ground, wrapping her wings around herself. Marriage. It was rare amongst Fae now, since there was so little need for most to marry. The soulmates had long since found each other, and those without had little desire for binding themselves to another soul for eternity. Copulation still happened, but it was never expected to be a long term thing. It wasn't like any of them could have children.

Marriage was almost solely a political thing... But now... Now she was facing it. Both for politics and... Something else. She wasn't sure what she felt. Every time she touched him she saw visions of the past and the future. The universe had already decided that their souls would be tangled. Yet, the future she saw with him was one of violence and destruction. Horrifying things... And beautiful, impossible things that she'd never dared to hope for.

He was as dangerous as he was tempting. A kind soul.

Summer wiped a tear from her cheek angrily. She didn't want to feel like this. She didn't like feeling confused. She didn't like the way that his voice made her heart skip a beat. He had power over her, a power she'd never seen anyone ever employ. It was something more dangerous than magic... He had been human. He would hurt her, sooner or later. That was inevitable.

Yet... Here she was, trying to pretend she wasn't disappointed with the clothes in her wardrobe, as if she hadn't been looking for something to try and impress him.