A Day Off

Ryan POV

My alarm clock screeched, waking me up. Cursing it out, I punched it off the dresser and winced as I regretted it. I stopped it and sat up, I set my alarm clock extra early today, to help my mom with her cooking. She was staying home today to cook a huge meal for an event later today. It was 5:00 o'clock as I brushed my teeth and freshened up in the bathroom. I headed down the steps to the kitchen where she was already up cooking.

Mom: good morning, goodmorning." she said as I kissed her cheek. I squinted as I looked at the recipe sheet she left for me.

Mom: this is the mac and cheese casserole I left for you. I thought you could easily cook this." she said. I nodded and grabbed the recipe and looked it over. It was funny because I had cooked this meal over 100 times, and I still needed to use the recipe sheet.

Grabbing some tap, I tapped the recipe on the cabinet door, and grabbed the ingredients to go with it. I wasn't going to school today, and I had my mom email all my teachers for my past absences. It was a blessing that they accepted my absences, and didn't count them against me. I stayed on top of my homework, and got them turned in on time, so that was a big help.

My mom turned on some music and we laughed and danced around the kitchen as we cooked. The sun was coming up and my phone began to buzz as my friend's started to wake up. I ignored their text for now, as I placed the butter over the mac and cheese. I sprinkled the cheese in a cute design before placing it in the oven.

Mom: you know, you waste your time trying to make it cute, it will melt into one big blob anyway."

Me: shut up." I mumbled. I laughed as she punched my arm.

Me: that hurt!" I gasped.

Mom: watch your damn mouth then." she said, pushing me out the way.

Me: you watch yo damn mouth." I mocked. I laughed and ducked away as she swung at me again. She chased me out the kitchen and stopped at the exit as I ran into the living room.

Mom: Ryan, I am not playing with you girl." she said, turning back to the oven. I laughed and creeped back into the kitchen.

Mom: don't come in here playing around the food now Ryan." she said, sucking her teeth.

Me: don't hit me then." I laughed. I creeped up next to her and held in my laughter.

Mom: go somewhere child." she laughed. She pushed me back, and I ran upstairs and grabbed my phone.

Seniabenia💚: nothing new, Ryan's missing in action!"

Marcus🙃: how many absences you got now shortie? lol."

China💋: foh, we coming by after class."

Me: we who🤔???" I frowned.

Jordan🤪: dannn she saying "we" like the boys can't come over lml."

Me: I just wanna know who's coming to my house."

Reggie😂: can I come?"

Me: no."

Reggie😂: damn thought you loved me."

Me: I do lol but you can't come lol."

Reggie😂: not feeling the love sis."

Diana🤎: the girls and I are gonna come over."

Me: kk." I replied. I opened up Mccoy's text as he came over Diana's.

Mccoy: shit I miss a day, then you miss the next. How am I suppose to see you bbyg."

I blushed and picked up my phone.