24

"how do you feel, darling?" ashton asks softly.

"i dont know. im tired but sore," calum mumbles, putting his hand overtop of ashtons, which is resting on his tummy.

"you can go back to sleep, if you'd like," ashton says softly, gently rubbing his thumb back and forth over calums tummy.

"no. dont wanna sleep, ashy, wanna talk to you," calum says, turning his head to look at ashton.

"you are talking to me, silly," ashton says, a smile growing on his face, "oh! which reminds me...the doctor said he could find out the gender of the baby...if that's something you think you'd want to know."

"the gender..." calum trails off, lost in thought.

"is everything okay, baby?"

"yeah! yeah! im just- i dont know if i want to know," calum says. ashton looks at calum confused, not understanding what calum meant.

"you dont want to know?"

"not until birth," calum says, smiling at ashton, "dont you think that would be so cool? finding out the gender of the baby when i give birth."

"that means we would have to get unisex baby clothes, keep the baby's room neutral, and figure out names for both a boy and a girl. or a unisex name, either works," ashton trails off.

"oh, yeah," calum says, biting his lip. ashton watches calum for a second, knowing something was off. the feeling in his gut increased as he looked at calums face...there was something wrong.

"penny for your thoughts," ashton says.

"i love you,"

"i love you too," ashton says, "now talk to me, darling. what's on your mind?"

"why...should we even decorate the spare room for the baby? should we even buy the baby clothes?" calum asks, closing his eyes, "should we do anything for this baby when we dont even know if the baby will survive? if i will survive? i dont know, i know i keep saying we're gonna have this baby, but...why waste the money if someone's gonna die?"

"nope. no money will be wasted, you want to know why?" ashton asks, "because no one is going to die. you, are going to carry our healthy baby, and when the time comes, we're gonna be back in one of those delivery rooms, and we're going to have a baby."

"the doctor said-"

"i know what the doctor said," ashton says, cutting off all the negative thoughts from escaping past calums lips, "but i know, i know, that you're gonna deliver our baby. you're both gonna be happy, and healthy, and i cant wait to come home to both my babies every night."

calums eyes water, and he does his best to not let the tears fall.

"so, once you're out of the hospital, we're gonna shop for some babys clothes. we're also gonna go look at colors for the babys room. i need to start painting the room, also we need to buy a crib, a stroller, a car seat, diapers, formula, and a bunch of other stuff."

"i love you," calum sniffs, wiping his eyes. ashton talking about everything they needed to buy just...it made him extremely happy.

"i think i want the babys walls to be gray," calum says, a huge smile on his face, "oh! oh, and if you can, maybe paint some animals on the walls! like, like an elephant, and a giraffe, and maybe dogs!"

ashton laughs, "sure, yeah, of course i can paint some animals on the walls. did you want to buy, im not sure what they're called, boarders for the walls? sometimes those have animals on them, and we can match it to the room."

"yeah. i want a rocking chair for the babys room too. and we're gonna need a dresser and maybe a shelf, for some toys.." calum trails off, already putting a mental image in his head. this baby couldn't come soon enough, calum was so excited.

"like i said," ashton says, "as soon as you're out of the hospital, we've got things to do."

_

as ashton walks out of the hospital for the night, since it would be way too much money for him to stay the night with calum, he pulls his phone out. ashton pulls up a group chat, with about ten people in it.

ashton hits the call button, and then the dialing screen pops up with michaels name at the top.

"hey ash," michael answers, "what's up?"

"you've got everything for the baby shower, right?" ashton asks, "cause calum should be out by friday, so we can probably keep the party scheduled for saturday."

"yeah! we have everything. just let me know thursday night, if you still want us to set it up," michael says, "otherwise, yeah, we've got everything. everyone has RSVP'd, all the presents are wrapped, what else...?"

"that's it for now i think," ashton says happily, excited for the fact that he's throwing a surprise for calum, "thank you so much, michael! i appreciate everything you've done for us, you're amazing."

"hey, anytime ash. call if you need absolutely anything."

"will do, mike. thank you,"

"no problem, ash. goodnight."

after that, the call ends and ashton relaxes in his car seat. excitement runs through his veins as he thinks of how amazing the surprise baby shower will be. that day couldn't come soon enough.

__________________________

yee, cute chapter. idk when ur supposed to have a baby shower, and idc so its gonna be now
comments? predictions?
unedited
love u!