29

"hi ashy!" calum giggles as soon as ashton enters into the small hospital room.

"hey darling," ashton sighs out, rushing over to calums side, "how are you feeling?"

"i feel good," calum says, still giggling, "really good."

ashtons smile falters a bit as he examines calum laid out on the hospital bed. it really struck something inside of him, and it wasn't in a good way. nonetheless, ashton knew it was the best and safest option for calum to be in the hospital. with the last handful of weeks hurdling towards them, ashton felt a little better knowing calum was in good hands.

"i missed you, darling," ashton says softly, pulling a chair up next to calums bed. the comment makes calum smile. it's a big, goofy, but filled with happiness smile. it makes ashton smile a bit wider.

'"missed you too, baby," calum slurs a bit, and the word baby really strikes ashtons core again. it doesnt make him feel better, in fact it makes him feel worse. his emotions were still all over the place. ashton really wouldn't know what to do if that fetus survived and calum didn't...

"hey, darling, how about we talk about baby names?" ashton asks, trying to get his mind away from all the bad thoughts. the only way he could get calum really talking was if it was talk about their baby.

"oh my gosh! okay, so," calum says, excitement bubbling in his core, "if the baby's a girl....her names gonna be sophie. no, wait, maddie. madison. or maybe kelly. if the babys a boy...then i wanna name him ashton thomas irwin."

"oh," ashton says, eyebrows almost knitted together in confusion, "why ashton thomas."

"cause, you're the love of my life," calum slurs out, still happy as can be, "and like, you gave me the miracle of having a baby. i can never ever repay you for that. and i love you so much. it would just be so cool to have our own baby boy and name him after you. i can see you guys outside. you and baby ashton. he just turned seven and you're playing soccer outside. life is good. im still madly in love with you."

ashton tries his best to follow calums rambling, and he thinks he did a better job than he normally does since his heart beat increases, and this good, warm feeling starts to grow in his chest.

"you look tired, sweets," ashton says softly, brushing calums hair back, "why dont you get some rest?"

"'mm kay, ashy," calum giggles, "i love you."

"i love you too."

calum was out quickly, making ashton smile. he knew what he had to do.

_

"this is the ring. this is perfect," ashton says slowly, holding the small black box in his big hands.

after ashton left the hospital, he called up michael and asked him to meet at the local jewelry shop. he did, and they went around to three different shops before ashton found the perfect ring for calum. so, he bought it, dropped almost six thousand on it, and then walked out of the store with michael.

that was as far as they got. nerves, along with excitement, ran through ashtons veins as he looked at the ring.

ashton just knew it was time.

"so, we're all gonna come in groups at the end of the week for calums surprise baby shower, right?" michael asks, taking ashton out of his trance, "since we cant have it as planned?"

"yes, yes," ashton says, shaking his head as he pockets the small box, "since the hospital room wont be that big, it'll be easier for small groups to come one at a time. plus, people will still filter through for the whole day and i know its gonna make calum so happy. well, its gonna make him happy that i did this as a surprise. i cant wait to see the look on his face!"

"im excited, mate," michael says, smiling, "im gonna be best man, right?"

"pfft," ashton scoffs, "of course you are. thank you for coming with me to look at rings. i dont know why i didnt do this last year. i just...i love him."

"mate, you literally sat on my floor five years ago and cried to me about how marriage is something that you're scared of."

"well, it's still scary," ashton says, walking along side of michael, "but with calum, it isnt scary. and i want to. i want to spend the rest of my life with him."

"i know," michael says softly, "the way you two look at each other makes me want to throw up."

"ha-ha-ha," ashton laughs sarcastically.

"seriously, though. you're-"

michaels cut out by ashtons phone ringing, making the older boy quickly grab out his phone.

"who is it?" michael asks. ashton doesn't answer, but his face pales a bit so michael knows it's most likely the doctors.

"hello?"

they stop walking, and michael watches as ashtons face drops and he pales even more within the blink of an eye.

"oh my god, is he okay?"...

"yes, fuck, yes i'll be right there!"

michael gasps when ashton starts running, making him start to run after ashton.

"what happened?!" michael asks worriedly once he basically jumps into the passenger seat of ashtons car. ashton got tears in his eyes as he gasses the car, making the tires squeal against the pavement.

"mate, what is going on?" michael asks again, trying to get anything from ashton, who just shakes his head worriedly.

"c-calums going into shock," ashton cries out, worry flooding his nervous voice.

"shock?"

"he-he lost blood, i don't know," ashton yells, hitting the steering wheel.

ashton didn't know how it happened. just before, he was buying a ring and his boyfriend was gonna have his baby, and now his boyfriend is going into shock. ashton didn't understand how life could be so cruel.

_____________________________

oop. uh oh.
comments? predictions?
unedited
love u!