Chapters 1-5

When I arrived in my room, I took my toilet bag out of my suitcase, along with some pajamas. I went to my private bathroom and prepared to go to sleep. Once in my bed, I couldn't help but think about Faïz's face. It obsessed me. I finally fell into a heavy sleep.

**

That Sunday began with storing of my luggage. Lily had asked me during yesterday's dinner if I wanted to accompany her and her daughter to church that morning. I'd declined the invitation politely without explaining that my faith had been shaken for a long time. Then I started to put away my supplies, classes, and paperwork so that everything would be ready for the next day.

I took a quick look at my alarm clock on the dresser and noticed that it was already late. In my shower, I saw myself again in front of Faïz, a loser, unable to start any conversation. On my way out, I put on shorts, a wide black tank top with the portrait of Notorious B.I.G. drawn on it, and my sneakers. In front of the mirror, I pulled my long curly hair back with my pliers, which brought out my green eyes. I was feeling more like myself. At that moment, I heard the front door close again. I concluded that Lily and Victoria had just returned from church.

Downstairs, I found Victoria on the terrace, near the pool with her mother. I didn't see Charles or Faïz. Part of me was disappointed, which annoyed me. I'm not going to get attached to the first guy I meet in Los Angeles! Miss Arlette had prepared a hearty brunch for us, which she had set up on the large outdoor table.

— "Hello, Zoe. Did you have a good night? You're so cute."

Lily, under her big sunglasses, had a smile that I described as magical because she conveyed a good mood all around her.

— "Yes, I was actually exhausted," I replied as I sat down.

— "I love your shorts!" added Victoria.

— "Thank you, I hope to find more in this city."

We talked about the weather and the sun of California during brunch. Everything seemed simple to them. Lily then proposed to go for a walk as soon as her husband returned to the villa.

— "Where did they go?" I asked in a reserved tone, speaking of Charles and Faïz.

Victoria told me that her father was still at work and didn't really know what weekends were like.

— "Yes, it's a shame!" sighed Lily.

— "And Faïz?"

— "My brother must be with Rachelle right now."

I gave her an interrogating look.

— "His girlfriend!" Victoria said in a slow voice.

— "Ah!"

I pretended not to be affected by this confession, but deep down, my blood boiled. After all, what had I expected?

After the hearty brunch, I went back to my room and took the opportunity to call my father. He must have been worried sick. He answered directly.

— "Zoe! I didn't sleep all night," he shouted immediately. "How are you? How is your host family with you?"

— "Dad, I'm fine," I reassured him. "You know, with the jet lag, I preferred to wait to call you. If you only knew. I'm in a beautiful villa. Elora seems to be a quiet and timeless neighborhood. The Mattew family is just great."

As I was talking to my father near the bay window, Victoria invited herself into my room. I nodded to her to make her settle in. She picked up the frame I had put by my bed that morning. An old picture of my mother and me, together.

— "Dad, it's better to communicate by e-mail. I'll call you back within the week. Kiss Grandma Dunia for me. I am thinking of you all the time."

I hung up. Victoria must not have understood anything, since our conversation was in Spanish.

— "Is this your mother?" she asked me, brandishing the frame.

I nodded. Victoria looked at the picture and asked hesitantly,

— "You ever talk to her sometimes?"

I was surprised by Victoria's question. I hesitated for a moment before answering her.

— "Only in my sleep. I find her in my dreams and it's like she never left. I can almost touch her because it feels so real to me. It's strange when I think about it."

My heart tightened and Victoria didn't insist. I appreciated her discretion on the subject. Her understanding look was enough.