Chapters 5-10

FAÏZ

Her steps, jerked by anger, almost made her lose her balance. She could no longer see anything or anyone in her path, and the sound of the music was nothing more than a distant hum. Rachelle did not know which direction to take once she arrived outside of the university building. It was then that she felt a firm hand close on her wrist. She turned instantly.

— "Leave me alone!" she shouted full of anger towards Faïz.

The young woman pushed him away with all her might. Faïz did not let go of her.

— "I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry."

Rachelle looked around. Few people were outside, and just a few were looking at the scene from afar. She did not like the scandal and immediately recovered. Her eyes filled with disappointment and sadness, landing on Faïz. He felt so guilty about being the cause of her discomfort. Rachelle tried to resist for a moment, but her feelings for the man she loved so much took over.

— "You humiliated me in front of everyone tonight," she roared. "Imagine if it had been the other way around. When are you finally going to put an end to this little game between you and Zoe? This is not the first time I've asked you."

Faïz opened his mouth and closed it immediately. His gaze hardened when he heard her first name. He didn't like to hear it, he didn't like to pronounce it, feeling his heart racing for those three letters that drove him crazy. He had never seen Rachelle as unhappy as she was tonight, and he realized in retrospect that he had gone beyond the bounds of reason.

— "Everything has changed since she came into your life," she whispered desperately.

— "It's not what you think. I have other things on my mind, nothing to do with her."

He was trying to convince himself of his own words. After all, the problem was not Zoe, but something much more irrational.

— "Do you love her?"

Rachelle looked him straight in the eye, ready to hear a truth that would destroy her. Faïz embraced her tenderly, kissing her sweetly on the forehead.

— "No, Rachelle. I don't feel anything for her."

Tonight, reason had won, leaving muzzled. He silenced his feelings for the young woman with green eyes, the one for whom he had felt his heart beating for the first time, the second he met her.

— "Take me to your house," Rachelle said gently, her lips against his.

— "First, I want to invite you to dance. Let's go back inside and enjoy this evening for a while."

As they rushed back into the building, he suddenly remembered that he had left the keys to the loft in Elora. He should slip away a little later during the ball to pick them up.