Chapters 11-5

— "If that woman had revolvers instead of eyes, you'd be dead by now, Zoe!" Chloe said to me when I sat down.

— "Are you kidding me? I really thought my last hour had arrived. Even the clown in 'It' has a mouth that is less scary than hers," I said.

— "You gave us a beautiful moment with Mr. Mattew," Katy confided to me, her eyes full of mischief. "I had the impression that I was back in my twenties."

She shrugged, closing her eyes, full of nostalgia. Beautiful memories had to come back to her.

— "I admit, it was so romantic. It was as if you were connected," added Chloe, joining her hands together.

— "Yes, for the duration of a song," I admitted with disappointment, whispering.

We continued the evening in a good mood. Katy seemed in great shape, despite two o'clock in the morning being displayed on my watch. She told us some anecdotes from the past, always with a touch of humor. When she was very young and in school, she'd had more severe mistresses than Andy, and her first date had completely failed.

— "Grandma, are you nuts?" rebelled her grandson, listening to the story.

— "Why are you taking this the wrong way, son? Look at the handsome young man you've become now. Sure, the haircut needs to be reviewed, but this—"

— "Grandma!" Andy cut her off. "We're going home before all the family secrets are unpacked in public."

He stood up to indicate that it was time for them to leave. I thanked Katy for making me laugh so much tonight. I had enjoyed the wonderful moment with them. In life, we met people with whom we spent just a few hours. People like Katy, Chloe, Andy, or James. However, those few hours were precious. We never really know why, but they are, and it would be like that throughout our lives. We affirmed that we would see each other again, that we would stay in touch, knowing that there would be no next time, but we needed to promise ourselves out loud anyway, because it was always sad to say goodbye. Katy and Andy disappeared, leaving me alone with Chloe, who was preparing to leave, too, but she hesitated at the last moment.

— "Run away, Chloe. Don't worry," I reassured her.

— "I don't wish to leave you alone with your champagne glass."

Suddenly, I saw hope rise in her eyes again when she looked over my shoulder. It was then that I felt a hand resting on me. Faïz was there.

— "Zoe, we have to leave," he told me.

As I turned around, I noticed that he had that serious look again that didn't say anything good. The discussion with Virgil had changed his mood. What had they been saying to each other all this time? Chloe also got up and gathered her things.

— "I'll get my jacket," said Faïz. "Have a good evening, Chloe. Thank you for keeping Zoe company."

— "Have fun back to Los Angeles, Mr. Mattew. I wish you a good weekend," she replied politely.

Faïz moved away. Chloe came up to me and surprised me by hugging me to say goodbye.

— "I was happy to meet you. Keep up the good work, and good luck with your article."

— "Thank you for everything."

She left in turn, leaving me alone at the table. Looking around me, I noticed that the room had emptied of almost all its guests. I contemplated one last time the rose, almost faded. Tonight, it had replaced the hourglass of time. I found that to be an authentic originality. Immersed in my thoughts, I hadn't heard Faïz come back. He placed his jacket on my shoulders.

— "You seem to have loved that huge rose," he guessed.

— "Yes, I thought it was beautiful, with a touch of melancholy."

Time to leave, he grabbed my hand so naturally, without hesitating.