Chapters 2-9

Still in shock, I did not answer. The discussion ended there. They both walked away, together, hand in hand. Suddenly, the two faces of my friends appeared in front of me, reminding me of reality.

— "What the hell is this?!" Lexy shouted.

— "Tell me this is a bad joke, girls. Did you see what I saw?" I said, still dazed.

— "After reflection, I advise you never to rummage through his drawers, or even his wardrobe, Zoe," Lexy replied, shaking your head before adding,

— "God knows what you might find inside."

— "Why her? Anyone, but not her. I am cursed," I grunted, desperate.

Asarys and Lexy each took me by the arm, and we resumed our walk towards the cafeteria.

— "Thank you, girls, for your comfort," I said, in a gloomy tone.

— "If we're holding you, it is mainly to prevent you from running under the first car you might see," Asarys explained to me.

— "Oh, you're exaggerating."

David looked at me with a worried eye.

— "This is not the time, Dave. Zoe has just been stamped. Give her a good drink," Lexy continued, always with the greatest exaggeration.

— "Lexy, instead of bullshitting, let's sit down and let Zoe work, " sighed Asarys, annoyed.

— "Will you be all right?" she asked me, anxious.

Asarys always had the right words at the right time. I nodded in response. My two friends went to sit in a corner of the cafeteria while David tapped the counter with his fingertips, waiting for an answer to a question he hadn't even asked yet. Faced with my silence, he crossed his arms, which indicated to me that he was getting impatient. I then decided to confide in him.

— "It's Faïz," I said in a whisper

— "I knew you had a crush on this guy," he replied, raising his arms to the sky. "So tell me what's going on with him!"

— He's been in a relationship for some time with a girl named Rachelle, and I just discovered that this Rachelle is actually Barbie.

— "Oh no, I'm not buying that! Come on, stop messing with me. What's the real problem?"

I stared at him, discouraged. He understood then that I wasn't kidding.

— "You mean Baylor's hottest Apollo is sending his time with...that?!"

— "Be careful. I knew he had someone, but looking at reality was a real slap in the face. You should have seen her, so proud and happy to humiliate me."

David left in a hurry to take orders. The earth had not stopped turning. As I watched David, I noticed that he had changed his clothes.

— "Do you have an appointment?" I asked.

I wasn't going to let him get away with it so easily.

— "I confided in you. Your turn, Dave!"

— "Okay, it's Morgan. No one knows about us. Thank you for keeping the information to yourself," he whispered as he continued his service.

— "You can trust me."

I pretended to lock my mouth with a key. He thanked me with a little wink. Asarys and Lexy came to the counter to tell us goodbye. It was time for them to go home.

— "I'll see you tomorrow at the party. I am counting on you," Asarys added, pointing to all three us.

She then walked away towards the exit, repeating to me to be brave and not to let myself go.

— "Wait for me!" Lexy shouted at her, running behind her. "It's too dangerous for you out there."

She hurried.

— "Dangerous? No! The Black Shadow watches over this city," Asarys replied confidently.

They disappeared in the distance, only their laughter reaching us. At that moment I noticed that the cafeteria had almost emptied. I took the opportunity to exchange a few words with David.

— "Do you believe in The Black Shadow?"

— "Of course. Everyone in LA believes in him. He's more than just a legend, Zoe," he replied.

— "What the hell is he? Who is he?"

— "That would go back several decades. While Los Angeles had its highest rate of banditry, someone decided to take matters into their own hands to stop the escalation of violence. We don't know if he acts alone or if there are several of them, but in a few years, the city became one of the safest in the United States. Pelican Bay State Prison in 'Del Norte County' was built to house California's biggest criminals. This prison is reputed to be the safest in the world, and inviolable. The Black Shadow is at the root of most of these arrests, and the police continue to use him for all major cases. Why do they call him The Black Shadow? Simply because you can walk down the street and suddenly see a big shadow moving next to you, so you look around or look up and see that there is no one there. The shadow has simply disappeared. He watches over each of us. You who want to become a journalist, maybe one day you will have the privilege of writing an article about him. Anyway, I wish you the best."

David wandered off.