Chapters 10-7

I rushed inside the hotel to escape the cold. Before going up to my suite, I went to the reception and recognized the person who had welcomed us last night.

— "How can I help you, madam?" asked the receptionist very courteously.

— "Can you ask someone to bring a hair straightener to my room, please?"

— "For what time?"

— "As soon as possible. I have to be off again at 8:00 p.m."

— "All right, the hair straightener will be up in a few minutes in your suite."

— "Thank you."

I would certainly have a rather simple outfit, but I was planning to make up for it in substance.

In the elevator, I looked at the time on my watch. I had about an hour to get ready. I felt a little sudden tiredness wash over me. I had to struggle not to lie on my bed when I arrived in my room.

**

I met a few people in the corridor before I got to my door, including many tourists. I had to admit that New York in the middle of winter had its charm. I pushed the door of my suite, plunged into the darkness, and turned on the light. I put my things on the desk corner and took my shoes off, relieved, when something came to my attention. On my bed, a metallic, gray, Channel brand pouch was waiting for me. Next to this, I noticed a large wrapping cover. A Post-it with my first name on it was hanging on it. I recognized Faïz's writing. My pulse accelerated and I opened the large cover hurriedly. Not believing my eyes, I had to sit down so I wouldn't fall backwards. I discovered in front of me the most sumptuous dress that even in my wildest dreams, it would have been impossible for me to have. Hesitantly, I allowed myself to touch the gray, ivory-colored fabric with my fingers. It was a unique creation by Vera Wang. This long dress with a bare back and multiple diamonds glittered with a thousand lights. On each side was a transparent veil playing on the optical effect. The sleeves were covered with lace of such finesse. The outfit was simply breathtaking. Under the shock, I barely heard the knock on the door, so hypnotized was I by the details of the sparkling embroidery.

— "Room service," called a woman's voice behind the door.

At the door, the hotel employee handed me a hair straightener and wished me a good evening. Before heading for the bathroom, I decided to thank Faïz by sending him a message. It took me two minutes to write best my sentence, which contained only a few words.

Thank you for this kind attention.

My fatigue had completely disappeared. Nickie Minaj filled the bathroom with her powerful voice and made me dance. After my shower, I found myself in front of the mirror where I attacked my rebellious hair, motivated more than ever to tame it for the evening.

**

When the last strand of my brushing was finished, I looked at myself, happy with the result. In my life, it must have been the third time I'd dressed up. Indeed, it was necessary to have rock solid motivation to embark on this formidable exercise. Then, I took out my little makeup bag to do something basic, nude, and very light. I liked the finished look a lot. Then came the turn of my dress. I took it gently and put it on without any difficulty. The lace caressed my skin. It was much more fitted than I had thought, to the millimeter, as if it had been sewn onto my skin. I impatiently headed for the large mirror in my room to admire it on me. I didn't recognize myself.

The reflection of the young woman looked almost like a model on a magazine cover with this designer dress. The silvery gray of my outfit brought out my eyes, even greener than usual. As I turned around, I caught sight of a large slit sublimating part of my legs. I went back to the bathroom to put a touch of lipstick and my mascara on that I hadn't had time to apply that morning. Once ready, I checked my phone, realizing that I had just missed a call from Faïz. It was 8:15 p.m. I was a few minutes late, so I decided to call him back immediately.

— "What are you up to?" Was he getting impatient on the phone?

— "I'm ready. Are you in your room?"

— "No, in the lobby. Adan is here. We're waiting for you."

— "I'll be right there."

I put on my black pumps, which the dress hid with its length, and replaced my handbag with my small purse, completely in accordance with my princess outfit. I walked in the corridor on the run, imagining Faïz pacing back and forth in the lobby like a caged lion. The elevator arrived quickly. Inside, all eyes were turned towards me, immediately making me uncomfortable. Once I was downstairs, I preferred to let everyone out before me, then I went to the lobby also. I immediately caught sight of Faïz, telephone to his ear. He froze when he saw me, his severe and annoyed look disappearing instantly, leaving room for the most total disarray. He then said no more than two words to his interlocutor before hanging up hastily. The further I went, the brighter the glow in his eyes shone. He was so beautiful in his black tuxedo and white shirt. Her hair was slightly back, bringing out the features of his face. He bewitched me completely with his vertiginous charm. My breath was cut off while my heart panicked.

— "Good evening," I whispered.

— "You...you are beautiful, Zoe," he stammered. "I don't know what else to tell you."

Embarrassed by his compliment, I bowed my head, glad to note that I also stirred him. It was obvious.

— "We must not keep Adan waiting. I'm already late," I managed to say while trying to keep an equal voice.

Faïz shook his head as if to put his thoughts back in order. He took off his jacket to come and place it on my shoulders and then offered his arm to me, with a big smile that made me lose my gravitational sense. I took it immediately, with the impression of being, at that moment, the most beautiful woman in his eyes.