Chapters 9-2

A very beautiful song by Norah Jones quickly brought me back to the present moment. The soft melody that accompanied her beautiful voice literally transported me. The night gave the illusion of a peaceful calm over the city. At this hour, we saw very few people on the road. Faïz took the opportunity to drive a little too fast.

— "I haven't seen you much in the last few days," I hesitated to say.

— "I have my exams coming up soon, and a thousand things to take care of outside of that."

I knew, of course, what it was about.

— "I'm sorry for you and Rachelle," I confided softly.

— "Are you sure?" Faïz stared straight into my eyes.

— "Yes, this time I am," I answered with complete sincerity.

He concentrated again on the road without a word. What was he thinking about? I would have liked to ask him what had happened between them, but I felt that this was neither the time nor the place to talk about it. After a short moment of silence, he resumed.

— "We will arrive in New York at 4:00 p.m. local time. We will go directly to Trac-Word to introduce you to the current CEO. This will allow you to start your investigations the next day."

— "Will you stay with me?"

— "Yes, I'll be with you. However, tomorrow I have a lot to do. You'll be surrounded by a very good team. Don't worry, I have it all planned."

I smiled at him as a thank you. I guessed that he had gone out of his way in order to establish a tailor-made schedule to receive me in the best conditions, as well as to mobilize staff who would be able to guide me around the premises.

— "Are you eager to take over the reins of the kingdom?"

— "I've been preparing to fulfill this role since I was a little kid. It's just another formality for me."

— "I understand too well what you mean," I sighed as I looked at the road.

— "What do you mean?"

— "Fulfill a role. It's the same for me. Everything I thought was true wasn't. There is no coincidence in my life. I am right where you've expected me for eighteen years."

Faïz seemed disoriented by my words.

— "I...I didn't know, Zoe. That this was how you felt about it. You still have your free will."

The palpable anxiety in his voice made him almost fragile. He looked at me while keeping an eye on the road.

— "There is no free will at that level," I continued gloomily. "My mother often told me that I was her miracle. This word, which was so trivial to me at the time, is now taking on its full meaning. You and I are not from the same world. I am created in the image of a celestial being. Me, who lost what little faith I had several years ago. Isn't that the height of the situation?"

— "This is all real, Zoe. It is not a question of faith, ethnicity, or religion. It's more than that. You're the talisman herself, a diamond of innocence. Your soul contains all the goodness of the world that exists here on earth. You represent life, blessed with mortals, but also with Gods. You have the power to destroy evil and save humanity."

— "What if the beauty of this world isn't enough?"

— "You have to believe in it, always. Even if there are many ugly things around us. I know that The Maestro wants to reach you in order to destroy everything good in you, and he will try in every way possible. Please promise me you'll always stay the same."

— "Yet, part of me feels so angry, part dark. I love peace, but violence often takes over when the revolt in me is too great."

My remark made him think for a moment.

— "Yes, that's normal. You're human. But it's nothing compared to the good you're destined to do."

He gave me a protective look.