Chapters 11-8

FAÏZ

Rachelle, sitting in the chair near the large windows, wiped her tears with a wave of her hand.

— "How did it come to this, Faïz? I didn't see anything coming."

The young man, sitting on the bed, did not answer. His only concern was in the suite next door. At Zoe's angry look, he knew he had once again ruined everything. He chased away the very idea of going to join her, to take her again in his arms. If Rachelle hadn't come that night, he would have spent the night with her.

— "Faïz!" called Rachelle, raising her voice.

His dark gaze fell on the woman sitting not far from him. She seemed destabilized by his black eyes, with whom she was madly in love.

— "I'm sorry. I will always keep our history close to me. Regret nothing, no moment. You brought me so much, Rachelle, and I hate myself for being the cause of your grief."

— "Did you even love me?"

— "As I was able to. You know I've never been comfortable with feelings."

— "What about Zoe? Do you love her as you're able, too?"

The young man did not answer, letting the silence do it for him.

— "I'd better go," said Rachelle, completely devastated.

— "At this time of night? It's not reasonable. Stay and sleep here."

She wondered where he wanted her to sleep. They probably weren't going to share the same bed. The answer was not long in coming. Faïz took his jacket and headed for the door.

— "Where are you going?" she hastened to ask.

— "I'll get another room, if that's what you're worried about. Good night."

He left, leaving Rachelle alone, in immense sadness. She understood at that moment that he would never return to her again.