Chapters 2-11

FAÏZ

Faïz arrived at the top of the building on West Fifth Street overlooking Los Angeles. The night gave the city a beauty very different from that of the day. He had his hands in his pockets and his face partly hidden under his black hood, which allowed no one to be able to read his eyes. Deep inside, Faïz told himself that he wished he'd never met her. He, who had always protected himself from his feelings by maintaining strict control over each of his emotions, was now left to his own devices about how he felt about the young woman. Her face, her smile, and her green eyes obsessed him. He had been afraid for her tonight, forced to turn down a more than disappointed Rachelle to go to Zoe's rescue. He then wondered what had happened on campus. Faïz clenched his fists, trying to convince himself that it was just a coincidence. There was no way the traveler could already be on her trail when he had just arrived in the city. If that was the case, then Zoe was in danger. He recognized Inspector Barthey's steps behind him, noting that he was accompanied by two other people. Faïz did not bother to turn around.

— "Do you have any news?" he asked the inspector.

— "The moment we feared has arrived. He came back!" Barthey said in a nervous voice.

Faïz remained silent and sighed deeply. The disturbing prophecy the Callis spoke of was coming true. He turned slowly to face the inspector. His face was tired, and his white hair had a particular light that was almost translucent. Of medium build, his silhouette was no less athletic. His physique remained well balanced for his size. Next to him was a smaller, Asian man with long hair. In the back, he saw a tall woman, very slim, with mahogany hair. Her pale skin brought out her lips in blood red. Their sports outfits indicated that they were people on the ground.

— "This is Zorrick."

The little man nodded.

— "And this is Belize."

The woman stepped forward.

— "I don't need anyone to help me, especially not an average person!" Faïz protested.

— "The FBI is on our case, we have no choice! Zorrick and Belize will have to report on the situation to the government in a few months," the inspector replied.

— "You put them in danger," Faïz said to him. "They can be world champions of karate or martial arts, but that will not be enough. It is evil itself that is at the gates of the city. Wherever he passes, there will only be chaos and desolation."

— "Your grandfather couldn't beat him on his own," Barthey replied, raising his voice. "Do you really want it to end the same way? He lost the woman he loved out of pride, refusing the help he was offered. Is that what you want to do?"

Faïz did not want to sacrifice anyone, and knew full well that the man was right. He could use hands, eyes, soldiers. This time, his exceptional strength would not be enough. He would have to live up to the legacy left by his grandfather and protect the City of Angels at the cost of his life. He realized that tonight's incident with Zoe was not a coincidence. The traveler was going to want to take everything that mattered to him, leaving him no choice but to move away from her, but also from his family.

— "Gather as many Leviathans as you can. We will need them to contain the city against evil and avoid a coup d'état," Faïz concluded.

Without adding another word, he walked towards the stairs. The inspector did not have time to say anything else. The young man had already evaporated in the darkness. The master of horror, nicknamed Maestro, had decided to return among the simple mortals, but also among these men, the Leviathans like Faïz, who were considered here to be demigods.