Chapters 10-2

I gazed at Manhattan and its skyscrapers, my cup of coffee in my hand. It was impossible to call anyone at this time of day. It was still too early in Los Angeles. I headed for my phone on the desk and scrolled through my contacts until my father's number appeared.

— "Hola, Querida," he said, apparently happy to talk to me.

Hearing my mother tongue did me a lot of good. I started the conversation with him.

— "Hi, dad. How are you since you got back from your mission?"

— "Everything is fine here. Your calls are so rare. I miss you so much."

— "I have a little time ahead of me this morning. Guess what? I'm in New York right now for my internship."

— "New York?" He was surprised. "But... Are you there alone?"

— "No. In fact, I came with Faïz."

Unlike the rest of the world, my father didn't make any comments to me when I talked about him. I began to tell him about my last week and then he did the same for his. After about fifteen minutes, Faïz appeared in my room, indicating with a wave of his hand that it was time for us to leave.

— "Wait, I'll put your grandmother on," my father said.

Before I even had time to answer, my grandmother already had the phone in her hand. I gnashed my teeth, understanding that I was not getting out of the bind.

— "Daughter, it's good to hear your voice. Your university, it's okay? Your host family, too?"

— "Yes, ma'am. I get homesick sometimes, but everything goes well for me."

My grandmother asked one question after another, while Faïz, sitting on the desk, waited patiently. I suspected that he was keeping an attentive ear to my conversation, which he probably should not understand much. It was the first time I'd spoken Spanish in his company.

— "Ma'am, I have to go. They're waiting for me. I have an important appointment this morning."

— "I understand, my daughter. Take care of yourself. Americans are—"

— "You two have a good day, too. I love you."

I preferred to shorten our discussion by hanging up as soon as possible. Faïz straightened up and walked towards me. Near me, he raised his hand to put a strand of hair back behind my ear. I swallowed, magnetized by his familiar contact.

— "I could have listened to you talk that way for hours. You seemed to be singing," he gently addressed me.

Faïz turned around and headed for the exit. He held the door for me in order to let me pass in front of him. Surprised by his remark, I smiled at him, eyes bright in the absence of words at that moment.

**

In the hotel lobby, I hastily closed my jacket, already feeling the cold penetrating through the seams of my garment. I caught sight of Adan through the front doors, waiting for us outside. I picked up the pace to save him a few seconds less outside his vehicle, forcing Faïz to do the same.

— "You're in a hurry to get to Trac-Word," he said, suspicious.

— "Adan is waiting for us," I sputtered.

— "It's kind of his job, Zoe."

— "I'd rather he did it in the warmth!"

I avoided meeting his gaze, guessing that he must be, from every point of view, exasperated by my remark.

— "Good morning, Mrs. Reyes," Adan rushed to meet me.

He opened the door for me and I sat in the back, Faïz on my heels.