Chapters 4-6

There was no one in the bathroom. Lexy went into one of the stalls. Leaning against one of the walls filled, with messages and tags from the students of this institution, I took the opportunity to confide about last night's evening with Faïz to Asarys, and loud enough for Lexy to hear me on the other side of the door. When she came out, we stayed in the toilet for a few minutes until I had finished my story.

— "At least you made it clear to him, Zoe," Asarys said.

— "But, did he seem receptive? I mean, does he feel the same way about you?"

— "In fact, it was the first time I felt that something could have happened," I admitted, with my eyes lost in my dreams, a smile on my face.

— "Well, let's go." Asarys got impatient.

— "Wait, I'm just going to go to the bathroom," I told her.

Once inside, I heard them fighting again.

— "Stop it! Damn it, you're crazy!" exclaimed Asarys.

— "Leave me alone. It's to give Zoe a hand. Relax."

— "She's going to kill us! That's completely stupid!"

Lexy was giggling about a situation that I would soon discover. When I went out to wash my hands, I saw her with a black felt pen in her hand. My eyes immediately turned to the wall behind her. In the middle of the various messages from people who had left a trace of their passage in these places, I saw Lexy's message: "I love Faïz, Z." My blood boiled

— "Am I hallucinating? Erase that mess right now! We are not in preschool," I fumed.

— "You're going to make history, Zoe, like Juliet with her Romeo," she laughed, determined to do as she pleased.

— "You're a very dangerous girl," replied Asarys. "Erase it!"

I ripped the black felt pen out of Lexy's hands, lest she continue in her delirium. While Asarys was about to erase the message from the wall, I heard the door of the bathroom open. I turned around and saw Rachelle with her gang of plagues. Her red face, scarlet with anger, did not say anything. I was standing there, next to that damn message, with that pen in my hands. Oh, fuck! Next to me, my friends tried smothered their laughter in the face of this uncomfortable situation, but only provoked the fury in front of us. Rachelle then walked towards me, tucking a blonde hair behind her ear. She stopped in front of me, far too close to my face.

— "Rachelle, it's not what you think," I sighed, tired of this circus.

— "You sound like a poor groupie who will do anything to get noticed," she attacked with a mean voice.

— "It's pathetic," said one of her vipers.

— "You, nobody is talking to you!"

— "You've wanted Faïz since the first day. You drool in front of him like a kid who saw an ice cream. You are so pathetic, Zoe," Rachelle continued in an increasingly aggressive tone.

— "Oh, she's pulling out the claws," Lexy said.

— "This bourgeois woman from the chic districts is trying to scare us. Where is the hidden camera?" added Asarays.

Rachelle turned all possible colors. Suddenly, I felt a slap on my cheek. Dumbfounded, it took me a few seconds to realize what had just happened. Everything followed very quickly. Asarys and Lexy threw themselves on the harpies who accompanied Rachelle. As for me, I didn't answer, and didn't intend to turn my other cheek to this viper.

**

— "I will not accept this kind of behavior within my institution," screamed Mrs. Aniston, the headmistress of the university.

All three of us, standing in her office, heads bowed and ashamed of our behavior, did not say a word in our defense. Rachelle and her pests were waiting for their turn in the hallway, behind the door.

— "I could have you expelled for several days and ban you from the ball on Friday," the director continued to shout. "But I will give all three of you a warning. Be careful, because next time it will be expulsion from Baylor University."

Her finger pointing at us made us understand that we were now under high surveillance. We came out of the office, our eyes fixed to the ground. Outside, we crossed paths with our rivals. Rachelle's black eye was the result of a skid that I hadn't been able to control because she'd slapped me. As we passed in front of them, we looked at each other. Asarys and Lexy got away with a few superficial scratches and hair that needed to be combed again. We walked silently into the hallway towards our conference room on empty stomachs. Suddenly, with the pressure finally easing, we burst out laughing as we looked at each other.

— "I think Asarys is worse than me," Lexy said to me.

After several minutes of wild nervous laugh, we finally got serious again.

— "It's all your fault, Lexy."

Asarys took a long look at our friend.

— "Look where your nonsense has led us! It's really stronger than you," I confirmed.

Lexy raised her arms to heaven.

— "I didn't know Barbie was going to come out of nowhere. We really have to lock that crazy woman up," she defended herself.

After taking a deep breath in front of the door of the amphitheater, we entered the room where our course had already begun, trying to act as if nothing had happened. We kept our heads held high and took care to avoid curious glances at the state of our post-war clothes.