Chapters 2-8

The trade course passed slowly. Our teacher, Mr. Kalansky, recited his speech in a monotonous way, which us made the last few hours sleepy. Around me, I saw more than one sleep dive. I forced myself to stay focused. A lot of evaluations were waiting for us next week. I would absolutely have to study as much as possible that weekend. It was true that my work in the cafeteria did not help me, but it was essential.

I had survived that first week and even better, I had appreciated it. With the girls, we hurried out on campus. They accompanied me to the cafeteria. After a few steps in the open air, I stopped suddenly. In the distance I recognized Faïz, who was coming to meet us.

— "Your boyfriend is here!" shouted Lexy.

I gave her a quick, murderous look. They started walking a few meters behind me, leaving me with a semblance of privacy. My two sidekicks didn't seem to want to miss a thing in our conversation.

— "Are you all right?" Faïz asked me, once he reached me.

— "I'm fine. I haven't seen you in a week."

Embarrassed, he preferred to look away.

— "I had a lot of things to deal with," he finally said. "Did you need me?"

— "No, but..."

I was about to finish my sentence when I heard a female voice calling Faïz in the distance. I looked around to see who it was. At the time, I thought it was a joke, not believing what I was seeing. Horror, the plague that was nicknamed Barbie and many other names, was coming towards us. Everything happened very quickly, in just a few seconds. I saw her throw herself around Faïz's neck, happy to see him, and then gave him a light kiss on the lips.

— "Baby, I was looking for you," she whispered in his ear, her face gently radiating with happiness.

I looked at Faïz then Barbie, Barbie then Faïz. God, no... She was Rachelle. What a nightmare! Behind me, I heard whispers full of fear, rising in intensity. My friends were watching this bad scene as if they were watching a TV reality show. All they needed was some popcorn.

— "Rachelle, do you know Zoe?"asked Faïz, apparently embarrassed by the situation. "She's been living with my parents for almost a week."

Rachelle seemed surprised by the words.

— "We know each other in a certain way. She and her friends nicknamed me 'Double Face' around the university," she whispered with hatred in her eyes.

Bitch! I was getting ashamed.

— "No... It's... Your first approach wasn't... You misunderstood," I tried to defend myself.

— "I think it would be better if you both got to know each other," Faïz advised us, staring at me severely as if he was discovering another side of me.

Then he looked at Rachelle again and nothing seemed to exist for him anymore. I was on the verge of a heart attack, disgusted by what seemed like a big joke to me. He finally turned around to me. I stared at him, completely lost. At that moment, he felt a certain uneasiness towards me. Rachelle, feeling her beloved escaping from her, took him by the hand and pulled him slightly towards her.

— "Baby, let's go. Remember, we have to spend the evening together, just the two of us."

She gave me a look of victory that was the final punch to knock me out.

— "Zoe, see you later," Faïz said in a low voice.