Chapters 12-9

Victoria had joined us at our table, while Lily and Charles were staying with the grandparents a little further away. While people were enjoying this divine dessert, Julio took the floor in turn.

— "Ladies and gentlemen, we'll ask Victoria and her ladies to come and start the opening of the ball with a dance."

Victoria, speechless, dropped her fork.

— "Zoe?" she growled between her teeth.

— "I had nothing to do with it. I couldn't do anything to stop them," I defended myself, accusing Asarys and Lexy with a glare.

— "Why are you doing this to me? The evening was perfect," she lamented.

Asarys and Lexy got up in a hurry, apparently a little drunk and immune to ridicule. I got up in turn, not being able to let them dance alone. Ray, Faïz, David, and William encouraged us by gently making fun of our group. Victoria, disappointed, resigned herself to coming along. She stood between us and asked Julio for the microphone, who immediately brought it to her.

— "I would like to inform you that we are beginners, so thank you for your indulgence," she said.

We heard little bursts of laughter before Beyonce's song began. I snapped my fingers to announce the kick-off of our choreography. We started our steps and the good mood took over. We were in sync. We looked at each other, encouraged each other, and this moment of pleasure was shared with the room, which had risen and clapped its hands to the rhythm of the music. We did wonderfully well. Victoria didn't tear herself apart, and gave everything she had without misstep. After three minutes and twenty seconds, we stopped suddenly in front of the crowd, excited and conquering.

We were out of breath, covered in sweat, and the four of us hugged, happy to have succeeded in our challenge of the year, long repeated in our rooms or parking lots. The ball was open, and everyone joined us on the dance floor to continue the evening. We left for our table to take a break. Only Victoria stayed on the dance floor with Ray.

— "I'm going to get my phone out of my bag to take pictures!" Lexy shouted in my ear so I could hear her.

— "Julio put everything in one of the upstairs rooms on the top floor," I told her.

— "I'll come with you." David got up. "And I'll take the opportunity to go to the toilet."

— "I'm coming with you!" Asarys intervened. "What about you, Zoe?"

— "No, I have to talk to William and Faïz. I'll wait for you here. And for once, don't do anything stupid!"

My three friends shrugged with offended sighs and walked away. I was finally able to have a quiet discussion with Faïz.