Chapters 12-10

FAÏZ

In the entrance the voices of the three friends resounded off the walls. Asarys barely realized that she had just pushed against a guest about to leave the mansion. She turned around, without really paying attention to him, apologizing before taking, step by step, those big stairs that looked like they went even higher, back to the surface of the earth. Laughter from the three accomplices was lost high up. The guest put the collar of his shirt back in place, which he used to hide his heavy scar. He put on his long jacket, which seemed worn out by time. Tonight, this scarred man had managed to hide among the guests without being recognized. Discreet and withdrawn from the celebration, the guests had mistaken him for one of their own. He had carefully avoided crossing the paths of Victoria, Faïz, or their parents.

However, he remembered brushing against the young woman with green eyes,who had pierced him when she looked at him. On contact with him, the voices inhis head had awakened even louder, even more threatening, even darker. As heopened the door of the house, he took the trouble to turn the cross upsidedown, which was hung on his left. He crossed the threshold and disappeared,voices full in his head. The entrance became calm and silent again, and a chillingbreeze passed under the heavy door. Something bad and evil had just entered theplace.

**

On the top floor of the house, Lexy, David, and Asarys headed for the bedroom, which was the only one with the door wide open. Someone had taken great care to close all the others.

— "Oh, my God, I'm going to have to look in there," Lexy complained, discouraged, pointing to the pile of clothes hanging on the hangers in that huge closet by the bed.

— "David, please turn on the light," Asarys asked.

He complied before declaring,

— "I'm going to the toilet, I can't stand it anymore!"

— "There must be some upstairs. Look carefully," Asarys replied, helping Lexy to find her purse.

The young man walked the corridor and had no choice but to open each of the doors to hopefully find what he was looking for. By the time he closed the fourth, which was still not the right one, a detail caught his attention. A book, placed on a desk, sparkled gently in the darkness. He was hypnotized by it and decided to take a closer look. The big book reminded him of a huge encyclopedia. He began to leaf through it, trying to understand what it was all about.

— "David where are you?" called Asarys from the hallway.

— "Girls, come and see!" David exclaimed.

They immediately ran to him. Lexy turned on the light. The room was decorated in an old style, visibly inhabited.

— "You called us for a book?" declared Asarys, angry.

— "I...I don't know, it was shining in the dark," David articulated with difficulty.

— "It what?" Lexy insisted.

Asarys closed what they thought was nomenclature to analyze its cover.

— "C A L L L I S," Lexy managed to decipher.

They leafed through the strange book out of curiosity. As they went to close it definitively, they came across a portrait of a young woman.

— "Am I dreaming or what?" Asarys whispered. "It looks like..."

— "Zoe," Lexy breathed.

They all three looked at each other in disbelief, but before they could react, they heard steps on the stairs. Completely panicked, David closed the book and without realizing it took it with him. Asarys turned off the light and was about to leave the room when Lexy stopped him.

— "It's too late! If we go out, we'll be seen," Lexy whispered.

— "Fuck!" Asarys swore.

— "The closet," Lexy pointed out.

The three of them ran inside to hide.

— "They must be guests who came to get their things. They're not going to come to this room," Asarys tried to reassure herself.

— "The book, David! Why the fuck did you bring it with you?" Lexy whispered, obviously angry.

— "I don't know, I was scared," he stammered.

Suddenly they heard the door open. The three friends froze, scared to death. They recognized the voices of Zoe, Faïz, and William. At the same time, the book began to glitter more intensely. Lexy, in the middle of the other two, put one hand to her mouth to contain a growing anxiety attack. Something strange was happening here and the three friends understood it well.