Chapters 1-8

FAÏZ

He held his head in his hands, pacing around in his loft overlooking Downtown. Faïz felt as if he were losing control. She could have discovered everything, and this in only twenty-four hours, he thought. We will have to be more careful in the future. She looked so different from the others, as the Callis had described her. This time, his charm and assets would not be enough to keep this young woman away from all his secrets. He wanted to punch the wall with his fist, but he knew that the wall would not resist. He had to hold back, choosing to go and put cold water on his face to calm himself. Wiping himself with a towel, he faced his reflection in the mirror, his jaw tight. He hated himself.

In his bed, Zoe's gaze filled his mind. The anger gradually gave way to a strange feeling he didn't know. A slight smile appeared on his face when he saw her dressed in that tank top with that famous rapper drawn on it. At that moment, he thought of Rachelle, the impression of betraying her overwhelming him. As a couple for more than three years, he had become attached to her. Yet Zoe made him feel something else. Tomorrow, he would have to make the change without letting anything appear. His phone vibrated and he read the message quickly. "Information to be transmitted." It was the code that Inspector Karl Barthey sent him when he needed him. He'd see him tomorrow after classes. When he closed his eyes, an incisive, emerald-green look invited itself into his sleep.