Chapters 11-2

The expression 'having eyes bigger than your belly' took on its full meaning in front this tasty display of food. The chef and his team had not skimped on satisfying all these high society people. Not knowing what to start, I mixed a little bit of everything on my plate, which reminded me how hungry I was. Then I headed to Chloe's table.

— "You are beautiful, Zoe! Let me look at you!" she exclaimed.

I turned around before sitting beside her, proud of my outfit. Chloe burst out laughing and added,

— "Hollywood stars have to behave themselves. No one can wear this dress better than you."

— "Thank you. You are radiant, too," I complimented her sincerely.

Her long tight red dress with embroidered flower motifs was stunning. Her choker jewelry was completely in harmony with the style of her clothing. She had tied her hair in a bun pulled and modeled for the occasion. New York was unequivocally the world capital of style and fashion. All those present at the reception proved it.

— "Where is your daughter?" I asked her.

— "At home. My neighbor is taking care of her tonight. So, not too disappointed to leave tomorrow?" she changed the subject.

I served myself a small glass of champagne and then pretended to think for a moment.

— "I am happy to go back to LA. I miss my friends and Faïz's family, but I was really very happy to meet all of you."

— "You'll probably come back soon. You and our future CEO seem so...close."

I smothered a little snigger.

— "I tell you, there's nothing going on between me and him."

— "Yet, since you arrived, he's had eyes only for you, Zoe. I wouldn't call it a friendly relationship. But okay, I'm just saying."

— "No, it's true, it's much more complicated," I admitted, "and too long to explain. Have Andy and James arrived?"

— "Yes, James is up there with his wife."

She pointed to a table a little further ahead of us, on the other side of the room. I saw James sitting with other guests. Unlike our table, they all seemed to know each other.

— "Why isn't he with us?"

— "We are not on the same wavelength with his wife. It's better if we avoid each other. Let's say she's special," she explained in an unpleasant voice.

I preferred not to get into the subject, which seemed thorny to me, knowing that I didn't need that tonight.

— "Who are these two adorable creatures?" called out a male voice behind us.

Chloe and I turned around at the same time. Andy, accompanied by his grandmother, winked at us. He seemed to be transformed in his suit. His grandmother, a small lady with short hair, pepper and salt colored, with a coquette appearance, came to greet us each in turn, complimenting us.

— "My grandson is right, you are beautiful, ladies."

— "Thank you, Katy," replied Chloe. "Come and sit with us, there is room for everyone."

Andy helped his grandmother settle in.

— "I'll come back, I'm going to get us something to eat," he told her.

— "Well, I'll be waiting for you."

As Andy was leaving for the buffet, Katy's mischievous gaze fixed upon me.

— "Do you also work at Trac-World?"

— "Oh, no. Please excuse me, I didn't even introduce myself. I'm Zoe. I came to New York to do an article for a magazine where I do my internship. Chloe, Andy, and James gave me a presentation about the firm."

— "And where are you from, Zoe?" she continued to question me.

— "Originally from Paris, but for the past six months I have been living in Los Angeles."

The expression on her face suddenly saddened.

— "At the moment, that region is enduring quite a few problems. Now it's the fires. Let's hope everything gets back to normal as soon as possible."

— "I also hope so," I said with a deep sigh.

Andy came back after a few minutes. As he sat down with us, someone took the mic on the stage in front the audience. The music softened until it disappeared completely. The sixty-year-old, looking slender and with a pronounced charisma, began his speech.

— "Ladies and gentlemen, good evening. I am delighted to welcome you tonight to Saint Regis Palace. I am Cesar Simeon, for those who don't know me."

— "Who is that again?" Katy grumbled beside me.

— "Shut up, Grandma," barked Andy, annoyed. "He's the vice director of Trac-Word."

While Andy and Katy were fighting, I kept listening to the man's speech.

— "We are glad you've joined us this year to share this moment of conviviality. You are employees of one of the world's largest companies. No matter what position you hold, your work is an extra stone you put into this building. You contribute, both directly and indirectly, to the reputation of this industry. It is not your job to thank Trac-World, it is Trac-World who thanks you tonight. You add value to the name of this multinational company, and you can be proud of it. I am so proud of you and what you accomplish every day."

Applause resounded in the hall. The vice director paused before continuing.

— "I hope that each of you has found your place in this great family. Present here are Oscar Heath, CEO of Trac-World, and our future President, Faïz Mattew, who, as many of you know, will take up his new position in August of this year. It is a great privilege for us to have you with us this evening, Mr. Mattew."