Chapters 8-5

We split up on the sidewalk in front of The Teagan. Lexy and David left together while Asarys accompanied me to the entrance of So Home News.

— "It looks chic," she remarked as she glanced at the entrance.

I noticed from the way she wiggled that she was trying to tell me something.

— "What's wrong, Asarys?"

— "You're gonna think it's stupid, but I feel like you're hiding something from us. For a while now, you've seemed more concerned. So has Will. You seem so secretive. Am I wrong?"

Asarys took me by surprise. It was true that William couldn't help but be on the reserve with my friends, and it was hard not to notice him.

— "I know Will is very introverted," I admitted.

— "Okay, so I'm not crazy."

— "No, he's like that. You just have to get to know him, and as far as I'm concerned, my internship is not going as I hoped, hence my concerns and absences when we're together," I lied.

She seemed relieved by my words. However, I could not explain to her that William was a Sylph, Faïz a Leviathan, and that the world was threatened by a demonic force... Ah, yes, and that I held the powers of a precious stone to fight evil.

— "Well, I'm running away. I have a ton of work to do at the library," she sighed.

— "Good luck. I'll call you later."

Asarys was about to leave when she turned back to me again.

— "Will you tell me how Faïz reacts to the announcement of the article you're going to write?"

— "Oh, he'll be delighted!" I said, raising my hands and making big eyes.

My friend walked away. Asarys was an intern at a major library in Los Angeles. She managed her own working hours and had responsible tasks without being the punching bag of the group, unlike me. The only thing that bothered her was the lack of a network throughout the building, such as in our university library. Fortunately, she could still connect via Wi-Fi to communicate at minimum.

**

When I stepped into the office room, I felt all eyes focused on me. The whispers were hardly discreet, and a certain animosity was floating in the air. Shit, what the hell did I do now?

I sat at my desk, watched by my colleagues since my return from my lunch break, which completely destabilized me. The contact between us should have guaranteed better organization in our work, and therefore top-notch communication. You bet! In front of me, Dillan, a young man of Mexican origin with a rather round appearance and a childlike face, sent me a little smile, obviously uncomfortable with the situation caused by his colleagues. He immediately turned his head to his post to continue his work as if his career depended on it.

— "Well, the little pushy intern finally graces us with her presence," whistled a voice behind me.

Agustin was standing there, hands in his pockets, impeccably dressed. Surely his hateful behavior destabilized his colleagues, but I was hardly impressionable by people with no authority over me. I agreed that Bonny scared the crap out of me, which seemed normal given that she was my boss and I had to report to her. I was only an intern, so I had to act as such and accept the somewhat irritating remarks of some. After all, I only had a month left to work there.

— "Can I help you with something, Agustin?"

Maybe you'd like to know how to stop being a real asshole with others.

— "Look at this! Here comes the little trainee offering me her help!" he burst out in a furious voice.

Everyone was staring at us. I understood that no one would come in to silence this pretentious individual. I sat at the back of my seat and crossed my arms while staring straight into his eyes.

— "I think your bad mood is due to the fact that Bonny entrusted the Trac-Word project to a small hand," I replied without being able to filter the tone of my remarks.

— "You haven't proved anything here yet, Reyes," he threatened me. "You may know some good people, but you're like those Louboutin shoes and that expensive handbag. Only artifice to the eyes. I wish you good luck."

I itched to answer him, but I chose to ignore him by turning to my office to go about my business. Now I was sure of one thing: Agustin was waiting for me to literally fail on this project. I understood that my career in journalism would depend on the I returned to Bonny in a fortnight.