Chapters 8-10

The five of us were gathered around the table, something that hadn't happened for a long time. Faïz avoided any visual or oral contact with me. Charles recited the prayer and then the family discussed their day throughout the meal. At the end of it, Charles called his son before he left the table, feeling that it was a good time to talk to him about a thorny subject.

— "Where is this case about the recent escapes at Pelican Bay?"

Faïz sighed, visibly annoyed to have to answer the question.

— "Everything is under control!"

— "Not quite. Only eight of the nine prisoners were found and put back in custody."

— "Only?" Faïz raised his voice.

The tension between the two men became palpable. Lily and Victoria preferred not to interfere so that they could close this chapter once and for all.

— "One of them is missing, Faïz! I agree with you that it is not the most dangerous of the nine. Far from it. Jarrod Graham is just a twenty-year-old, scarred, second-rate robber, but I would have thought you were smarter than him."

— "There's something more urgent for me than chasing after that 'second-rate robber,' as you say. With all the other Leviathans, we are currently running all over America, in search of that damn tomb!" cried Faïz as he stood up from his chair and threw his napkin on the table.

— "I am aware of this, my son, I know that you give yourself body and soul to find the body of The Maestro, but do not forget that he accomplishes his work by creating chaos on earth. The escape from this prison is not a coincidence. It could be part of his plan. Don't let one man decide the future of humanity. If Graham is his puppet, then we must find him."

— "I'll take care of it myself within the week if Barthey still hasn't managed to get his hands on him. Is that okay with you?"

— "Perfect. As for The Maestro's tomb, perhaps we should explore other avenues than those of our continent," Charles calmly suggested while still seated.

— "Yet all indications are that he's not far from LA. In the archives at the Seventh Earth, it refers to a rite that The Maestro received at his funeral. It was in California."

— "And he's not talking about the burial?"

Faïz dodged a little glance at me. Something told me I wasn't going to like the rest.

— "Yes, in the Callis, but...we can't read that part."

— "What do you mean?" Charles asked.

— "That part is invisible to all of us. Except Zoe."

All eyes turned to me. I then remembered the book I had touched in the basement of the manor. Indeed, it had come to life as soon as I had touched it.

— "So, we'll have to visit Julio and William," Lily said. "Zoe, you will have to touch the passages in order to make them visible. There must be an answer in the Callis."

— "I will come with you," Victoria said.

— "No," Lily protested.

— "Your mother is right," added Charles. "We prefer to expose as few members of this family as possible. Live your youth, my daughter. Do it for us."

— "All right." Victoria resigned herself, disappointed.

— "This traveler of death will drive us all crazy. Whatever he's preparing, he must be prevented," Charles grunted.

**

I enjoyed that moment, when I finally found myself alone in my room. I took my phone out of my purse to consult it for the first time that evening. A message from Asarys had arrived during the meal.

Are you all right? How did William react?

I unbuttoned my dress and put it on my bed, then I went to the bathroom, phone in hand. I ran the shower water and decided to answer my message before going into it.

The news about my article went wrong. I think it's really over. I'll call you tomorrow.

The shower made me feel good. I closed my eyes to plunge my head under the waterfall. This is the best part of this super rotten day. When I came out, my face reflected in the mirror. My green eyes were the only small glow on my greyish complexion.

— "Zoe?"

Fuck! My pulse accelerated when I heard Faïz's voice calling to me from my room.

— "I'm coming!" I stammered, looking for something to cover myself.

I rushed to my towel, finally opting for the white robe hung behind the door, much less attractive for my taste. I walked out of the room and found Faïz standing near the door. He seemed comfortable and stared at me from top to bottom as soon as I appeared. I look inquiringly at him.

— "I hope what you heard at dinner didn't disturb you too much?" he asked me.

His almost inaudible voice was intended to be discreet so as not to attract his sister's attention through the walls.

— "No, not in the least. I like to make things clear, and it was."

My voice still betrayed the anger I felt towards him from our last conversation.

He took a step closer and my heart raced. A mysterious smile split his perfect face.

— "Look, Zoe," he began, "I have a meeting next Thursday in New York at Trac-Word's headquarters. You'll have to bring warm clothes. We'll be back on Saturday for Vic's birthday."

The power of my joy was so strong that I rushed into his arms without thinking. My gesture took him by surprise, but Faïz let me do it. I ran into a body more robust than I thought, almost hurting myself. Breath labored, I quickly regained my mind, taking a few steps back before reluctantly letting him go. My rotten day had suddenly turned into a very beautiful day.