Chapters 3-8

Parked at the bottom of his building, I saw his black McLaren parked not far from me. I undertook to get out of the car when Faïz appeared at that moment. My heart jumped into my chest. It was the first time I had seen him in a month and a half, and my feelings for him were intact. I noticed, intrigued, two other people on his heels, a woman with bright mahogany hair and a smaller man. Faïz, in a hurry, got into his car while the duo got into a vehicle parked just behind him. Without thinking, in a moment of impulsivity, I decided to follow him, hoping that he would not drive too fast. I had no experience in spying, but I didn't want to miss an opportunity to talk to him. Faïz's car headed southeast towards Long Beach.

**

The two cars drove for a long time on the I-710. About forty-five minutes later it was getting dark. Suddenly, the vehicles turned to the left at the exit toward the port. We were in San Pedro Bay. When I felt the destination approaching, I turned off my car headlights to avoid being spotted and remained as discreet as possible. It was then that the two vehicles stopped in the middle of the huge port of Los Angeles, divided into several delimitations. I had followed Faïz to one of the terminals dedicated to freight containers.

I got out of the Mustang without making a sound, approaching as close as I could to the small group, hiding behind one of the big boxes to listen to their discussion. They were very close to me. Damn it, Zoe, you don't belong here. You better leave as soon as possible. No! There was not turning back. I wanted to know what was going on once and for all.

— "This is where they were found!" confided the little man when he addressed Faïz.

— "How many were they?" he asked him.

— "About fifteen, no survivors," the woman replied dryly.

Any survivors? What the hell are they talking about? My ankle tickled me at that moment. When I laid my eyes on it, a big rat was trying to grab it. A burst of terror made me hit the container, which resounded in a thud. The silence then became total. Fuck!

I waited a few moments before daring to observe the three individuals again. To my great surprise, they were no longer there. They had disappeared quietly, as if they had evaporated. I certainly had scared them away. I stepped forward onto the platform where they'd been standing just a few minutes ago. The location was illuminated by a low light emitted by a streetlight. The place, at this hour, was completely gloomy.

Suddenly, on the side of my field of vision, I saw a shadow coming at full speed toward me. I just had time to realize that it was the woman with red hair. I dodged her low blows, keeping my guard in front of my face. With my elbow, I blocked her leg, thus moving my opponent and creating the opportunity to kick her high, hitting her neck. I turned and lay her down. Everything happened in a few seconds.

— "No!" roared Faïz, running towards us.

He stood in front of me, blocking the other man who was about to throw himself at me and stopping his action instantly.

— "What the hell is your problem?" I was screaming in anger and out of breath.

Faïz looked at me with his black eyes. He seemed angry at me. His eyelids creased. Suddenly my fury gave way to worry. I remembered that I had no reason to be there, and suddenly wondered how I would be able to explain my presence on the scene. The woman got up, mad with rage. Faïz looked at her with a scowl.

— "Zorrick, take Miss Reyes's car back to Elora," Faïz commanded the little man.

— "Yes."

Then he turned to me again and added in a most annoying tone that did not foretell anything good,

— "I'll take you back. Get in the car!"

The red-haired woman silently left in the direction of her sedan. I assessed the catastrophic situation as quickly as possible. Faïz, for his part, was boiling. Once installed in his McLaren, I made myself as small as possible, praying to disappear. The tires squealed when the car started at full speed and nailed my back to the seat. After a few minutes on the road, my phone vibrated. Asarys left, for the second time, a text that was far too long for me to read now.

— "What were you doing there?" asked Faïz, his voice full of animosity.

— "I had come to see you at the loft, but when I arrived, I saw you leaving and I followed you," I confessed, embarrassed.

— "Don't you realize you could have put yourself in danger?!"

— "Why? What were you doing on those docks?" I insisted, lost.

— "Nothing!" he fumed. "Stop following me. Stop..."

His words trailed away in silence. He could not finish his sentence. Faïz had said these words with such anger... Normally, I would have kept quiet without adding a word, but my exchange with Asarys came back to me.

— "No!"

Faïz, surprised by my reaction, took a quick look at me and then squeezed his jaw, looking frustrated. He certainly hadn't imagined that I would stand up to him and make him lose the control he usually exercised. We defied each other with our eyes.