Chapters 12-8

— "Do you mind? I'm taking a souvenir photo," Lily interrupted us.

She pointed her smartphone at us. Faïz came closer to me and the group of posed. Suddenly, the light dimmed slowly. Charles at the microphone asked for our attention and announced the arrival of the tiered cake. He asked his daughter to come and join him, which Victoria did immediately, very enthusiastic. Everyone shouted her name, followed by whistles and applause. Charles then undertook to give a speech. Silence fell over the room.

— "My daughter, our pearl, our treasure. It is with great pride that I see you grow up. Your birth was one of the most beautiful gifts the Lord could give us. Princess with a smile that cannot fade, you are a dazzling light, an incandescent flame. I will make sure that there are no obstacles in your way, no tears on your cheeks, only dreams in your heart, a perpetual enchantment in your existence. We embrace your soul, my daughter, which is an example of endless love. Our future will be happy with you because you are our source of peace."

Charles had trouble containing his emotions. As for Victoria and Lily, they broke down in tears at this speech. The room held its breath before applauding so loudly at this letter from a father to his daughter. An embrace full of love followed. Charles then turned to our table.

— "I'll let Zoe take over. She has something for you."

Faïz questioned me with his eyes, surprised. I hadn't told him about my project tonight. William got up with me.

— "I will launch the video as soon as you play the first note," he whispered in my ear.

Victoria seemed eager to find out what I had prepared for her. I wasn't good at speeches, but I hoped she'd enjoy my offering. I sat behind the magnificent white piano, varnished. It had been so long since I had touched the instrument. The melody I was about to play I had refined at length when I was still living in France. I had meticulously composed each note of the score, dreaming of playing it one day for an event that I would consider special. That day had arrived, and I prayed that I would not make any mistakes.

A large white canvas lit up behind me. Then I played the first note that broke the silence in the dark room, accompanied by the video montage we had made with the girls. We saw our first selfies with Victoria, our moments of laughter. We saw a serious and concentrated Victoria in the middle of reading a book, a carefree Victoria jumping into the street. Our dives, more or less failed, in the pool of the villa. Her family holidays.

I played with the piano keys, but also with the sweet melody. I adapted this stroll by suddenly changing the sound level at certain times, thus creating a perfect harmony. I was too focused and involved with what I was doing to look at Victoria at that moment. I almost forgot the presence of the guests. The sensitivity I felt was at its height, and the atmosphere of the room had changed. I was able to feel the emotion I was giving them.

The video montage arrived at Victoria's first steps, her first smile as a child. We had retraced a part of her life and it ended as it had begun, with selfies from all of us. I opened my eyes again when I pressed the last note, which resonated for a few seconds before disappearing into the air. The thunderous applause resounded without delay. I got up to greet my audience timidly. Victoria, moved to tears, rushed forward to hug my neck.

— "It's too much, Zoe!" she exclaimed. "My heart almost stopped. I love you so much."

Her embrace lasted for a while.

— "I love you, too."

Our wet eyes showed the real love we had for each other. William came up to us and we hugged him, too. I thanked him for having prepared everything so that this moment would be as perfect as possible. I went to kiss Lily while Charles took back the microphone, clearing his throat.

— "Thank you, Zoe, for this beautiful moment. Well, after all these emotions, bring out the tiered cake! Ladies and gentlemen, let's make way for desserts!"

The room approved and the music rang out. Smoke invaded the floor to give a magical effect to the scene, with a very beautiful song by Justin Timberlake. Torches ignited with thousands of crackles and the waiters appeared accompanied by the magnificent multistory cake, which soared up very high. It was adorned all around with flowers and little rhinestones. Pink and gray matched perfectly together, giving this work of art an imposing effect. The photo session began with Victoria and her family next to her. A huge champagne fountain had been added. The result could not have been better. The servers came to distribute the shares directly to our tables. I founded it almost a shame to be obliged to cut this cake, which was a work of craftsmanship.