Chapters 13-8

I tried to understand what he was getting at while trying to reach the sacred book.

— "If you're going to stand in my way, go ahead! But I doubt you'll be able to do that."

Suddenly, the ringing of my phone froze me on the spot. On the screen was displayed the nineteenth call from Faïz. A buzzing sound invaded my ears. I knew I had no choice but to answer. The tears came to my eyes before I even heard the sound of his voice. I understood at that moment that The Maestro had won. He had planned everything from the beginning. I was a spectator of this scene that was beginning to slow down.

— "Hello," I whispered as if paralyzed.

— "Zoe, where are you? Go to Vicky's high school! It was his cellmate!" shouted Faïz on the phone. "Ogres and Graham were together at Pelican Bay Prison. Jarrod Graham is planning a carnage at Victoria High School. We found his plans in his motel room. The Nevada Desert was just a diversion to keep us away from Los Angeles today."

— "How long?" I asked with a voice full of tears, dreading his answer.

— "In the next few minutes!" shouted Faïz, panicked, "but the police are having trouble getting to the scene because of the—"

I dropped my phone, which crashed to the ground in several pieces. I already knew the end of his sentence. With a triumphant burst of laughter, The Maestro freed his beast from his chains and the Callis caught fire.

— "You will have to do without one of your masters, to save the one who is undoubtedly the purest part of your existence," he shouted.

I did an about-face and ran with all my strength, thinking only of Victoria. The dog came after me. I descended the stairs, jumping the steps as far as I could. It didn't matter if I hurt myself. My eyes were filled with tears, and I choked on my sobs. Arriving at the bottom in front of the front door, I turned around to face the evil monstrous barking. In a surge, he jumped on me and I fell to the ground, carrying my hands above me to protect myself from his attack. Just as I thought my last hour was coming, it evaporated in a black cloud a few centimeters from my face. I got up quickly and opened the door wide. I returned to the surface, breathless, under the gusts and rain.