Chapters 4-2

So, what had Faïz been looking for those on docks tonight? The bodies? Everything was jostled in my head. I sighed deeply and my pulse slowed down. I concentrated on the silence around me. That was when I heard it. The sound of regular breathing was emanating from the corner of the room. Panicked, I turned my head in the direction from which the breath came. My eyes gradually got used to the darkness. A figure in the corner, not far from me, had been watching me from the beginning. A scream of fear came out of my mouth. I backed away hastily. It was then that Charles came out of the dark. He was pale, with a glassy look without expression.

— "It took you long enough, Zoe," he sighed, relieved. "I knew you'd sooner or later discover the secret that's eating away at this family. It was only a matter of time."

I was paralyzed with fear. No sound came out of my mouth. I remained nailed to the place. My legs refused to obey the orders given by my brain. I would have liked to run away from this room, this house. Lily appeared in panic in the doorway: my scream must have frightened her. She was surprised to find me and her husband in the same room. She immediately questioned Charles with a worried look.

— "Zoe discovered everything...about Faïz," he explained.

— "No, Charles, I'm begging you. Leave her out of it!" she cried, standing in front of me as if to protect me.

— "It's our only chance, Lily. It's all up to her. You know that," Charles insisted.

He turned to me again, his eyes torn by the choice he had to make.

— "What do you believe in, Zoe? Good and bad? Myths and legends?"

— "Uh... I don't know. I don't understand," I stammered.

— "I'll tell you the legend of the traveler. Most people have forgotten it over the centuries, even forgetting the name of the person concerned. Sit down, will you?"

I shook my head, preferring to stand up and listen to the rest.

— "No one can say when he was born, several centuries ago. A man, a peasant, and of southern American origin, picked up a black puppy one stormy night. This man had a darker soul than any human being on this earth. He loved evil and killing for pleasure, women, men and children. A cannibal in nature, he fed on his victims, invoking Satanic rituals. There was nothing worse than him. He was arrested and hanged in the public square for his many crimes and heinous acts. At the time of his judgment in the afterlife, in front of the Eternal himself, the verdict came as no surprise: Hell would be his only refuge. Unfortunately, at the gates of the place, Lucifer himself refused this too abominable soul within his own kingdom. The darkness was far too afraid of it. His dog, Gally, just as evil as he was, was kept in the kingdom of Hell to weaken him in his demonic intentions. The peasant was sent back to Earth as a hunter of solitary ravelers. Now he feeds on the souls of explorers who travel the world, such as captains sailing on their ships in search of New Worlds and who disappear at sea. There is also no shortage of stories about many hikers that we never see again. This is the work of this evil hunter."

Charles paused, I looked at Lily, leaning against the wall with such sadness in her eyes.

— "How does the story end?" I asked.

— "You have to understand, Zoe, that in the fight against evil, there is also good. Celestial beings were sent to Earth to restore balance. These women were called Fairies, or Sylfides, and the men, Sylphs. In other words, elves whose mission is to protect the nature of this world. Sylfides live among us and blend in with the population. Their mission is to prevent imminent danger with a scream, which triggers in our hearts the intuition that there is a threat. This kept the hunter away for a while, but unfortunately, he found a breach in these celestial beings and rushed into it. The Fairies lost, one after another, their halo of divine protection. Most of them fell, becoming insensitive to the fate of humans, letting darkness gnaw at them from within. They then became the prophets of death by announcing unhappiness with cries of nameless savagery. They ruled on Earth alongside the hunter with the name of Banshee."