Chapters 11-6

Before crossing the gates of Saint Regis, we had to greet some people we met on our way. I begged my sore feet to last several more minutes. Outside, Adan was waiting for us. We went down the steps, covered with the red carpet, and got into the car. I took the opportunity to immediately remove my shoes in order to free my feet, which were hurting me.

— "I always wonder why you women like to endure all this so much," Faïz laughed at me, observing the scene.

I repressed a sneer.

— "One more macho remark and I assure you I'll use this stiletto heel as a weapon. Now you know what our pumps are for!"

Despite his affectionate gestures towards me, I sensed that something was bothering him.

— "Tell me what's wrong?" I begged him.

He hesitated for a moment and finally decided to confide.

— "Virgil is also a Leviathan. He lives in New York City and like me, he sometimes helps the police and the government in some affairs. He scoured quite a bit of his territory to find a trail on where the tombstone we're looking for might be. According to his many studies, he believes it's located in the Nevada Desert."

— "Do you think it's possible?" I asked.

— "I don't know. He put me in doubt. Virgil was convincing. His research seems well-founded."

— "Then it's rather good news," I rejoiced, "why do you seem worried?"

— "The Leviathans have already covered every square inch of California, and they have never found anything. I have to assemble a team and talk to Inspector Barthey about it tomorrow. I'll go with them on Monday, after Victoria's birthday weekend. If what Virgil says is correct, then we will soon be rid of The Maestro."

— "The Callis will tell us more. The answer is probably in the manuscript."

— "Time is running out. The government—"

He changed his mind, as if he had said too much.

— "The government what? For God's sake, Faïz, how can I help you if I only have half the information?"

Faïz sighed and looked away into the void before continuing.

— "The government is planning to blow up the Dome. In this way, they hopes to destroy the evil."

A shiver of terror froze my blood.

— "But...but how will they evacuate the entire population in such a short time? It's almost impossible."

Faïz stared at the ground. His silence gave me the answer.

— "Oh, my God!" I exclaimed, horrified. "The lives of all those people don't count? And you're gonna let them do it?"

— "Don't look at me like that! You think I'm not doing everything I can to save them? I managed to negotiate a short deadline. That's why I'm telling you the clock is ticking. I would give everything in the end, even my life, to save each and every one of them."

— "How long?" I managed to articulate.

— "Less than a year."

I turned to my window, completely stunned by the news. The passersby seemed so impassive, imbued with the effervescence of Manhattan's lights. I envied them. Deep down, just once, I wish I had felt that way.

— "I promised myself that I would not say a word about this during our stay in New York. I wanted to avoid seeing you as you are now."

Faïz's disheartened air broke my heart, I took his hand and said,

— "We'll do the best we can, but whatever happens, we'll do it together."