Chapters 6-1

— "Faïz?" I called, disoriented as soon as I woke up.

His room let in a weak beam of light. My eyes began to look for him at the four corners of the room when he appeared hastily from the bathroom with an anxious pout. I guessed he had just had time to wrap a towel around his waist, because of his soaking wet hair and the toothbrush in his mouth. His naked and wet chest made me look away, embarrassed by this scene.

— "Shit, Zoe! You scared the hell out of me," he articulated with difficulty without taking his brush out of his mouth.

He disappeared again.

— "I... Uh... Sorry, I stammered," still looking at the door.

I tried to come to my senses, pinching myself to check that I was not dreaming. The situation seemed to me to come straight out of one of those romance films. All that was missing was Rachelle's unexpected entry to close the whole thing. My God, what would she think if she saw this? Or worse, how would she decide to kill me? I shook my head in order to pull myself together. Unfortunately, I came back to the spectacle of Faïz's body, which left me speechless. His anatomy was just perfect, without any defects. I would never have guessed that he was hiding such a developed muscle structure under his clothes. However, I had seen him once take off his top when we were near the pool, only a day or two after I arrived, but my eyes hadn't lingered long enough then for me to notice anything. I decided to cut short my ideas and go and prepare myself. Faïz had told me about a place he wanted to show me today.

**

My room now seemed different to me. I stood in front of my bed, in the same place where I was last night, in front of the Banshee. I closed my eyes and The Maestro's face appeared to me in a flash. The horrific vision was enough to awaken the trauma experienced a few hours earlier. I relived them instantly. Tears rose to my throat before the truth that caught up with me, no matter what I did. A dark existence where legends, reality, and demons coexisted, an eternal war between good and evil. A soul as fragile as mine had no place in it. I stepped morosely towards the bay window, the only place where the view of the cliffs and the ocean could calm me down.

— "Mom, look after me. Life is more complicated than I thought. The stories you used to read to me as a child all had a happy ending. I don't see any for this one."

The almost burning water on my body made me feel alive and woke me up. I was not alone. My family of heart was now a priority for me. I had to protect them. In front of the mirror in my dressing room, I opted for a combination of curved jeans, rock and roll. I couldn't help but grin in front of the mirror by raising my hands to the sky.

— "No one wears this kind of outfit in LA," I grumbled out loud.

— "I think it looks pretty good on you."

I jumped, surprised by Faïz's intervention. He was standing against the wall. His natural charisma prevented me from looking away from his beauty. How long had he been watching me? I had seen him almost naked, but that was no reason for the opposite to happen.

— "Glad you're finally dressed," I said ironically as I walked out of my dressing room.

He could not help but smile in response. Deep down, my mind was screaming to get my heart back on the right track.

— "How are you this morning?" he hastened to ask me in a gentle and benevolent voice.

My good mood faded. Last night was an emotional evening. The events of the ball came back to me, and everything else.

— "Zoe?" Faïz's worried and insistent voice made me return to the present moment.

Positioned in front of me, he was desperately waiting for an answer.

— "It's okay... It's just that I have so many questions and I need answers."

His benevolent gaze absorbed me. I felt that he wanted to tell me so many things, but that he was holding back.

— "Everything is so complicated with you," he confided to me. "I know that most of the time I do it wrong, but I just want you well and safe. Your life, as precious as it is, deserves to be fought for."

My feelings exploded in my chest when I saw that he meant every word he said. I was precious to him, and that was all I cared about.

— "Ready to come down for breakfast? We have to get going."

His tone had hardened again. He looked towards the bay window, as if to guess what time it was.

— "I'll join you right away. I just have to finish getting ready," I replied as I hurried to the bathroom.

He stepped out of my room without saying another word.