Chapters 13-10

Inside St. Patrick's Church, only my steps resonated in the heavy silence. There was no one there, just me, my pain, and my anger. The atmosphere of this sacred place was completely unknown to me. The lightning that tore the sky apart outside made the shadows of the statues on the ground dance.

— "Why?" I shouted with all my might. "Why her?"

The thunder resounded as I collapsed, knees on the ground, soaked. I heard the sound of water falling from my hair, crashing onto the concrete. I saw myself again accompanying Victoria's body on the stretcher, hidden under a white sheet. David was holding me in his arms to help me put one foot in front of the other. It was all over. I poured my sorrow here, hands on the ground.

— "Please, give her back to me! Take me instead," I begged.

I knew she would never come back. If I had known, would I still have said goodbye? If...

I looked up at that big cross at the back of the church, behind the altar. Christ seemed to be suffering with me.

— "Those last few minutes you lived on that crucifix. I would also be ready to live them if it would allow her to come back. Tonight I have too much pain to forgive you, but tomorrow I will try, because I don't want to prove Athanasius right."

I stood up, shaky, drained of all my strength, bleeding from the inside. I turned my back on the altar to reach the exit. When I opened the heavy doors of the place, I saw David, Asarys, and Lexy waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs. Grief had also taken up residence on each of their faces, their tears mixing with the rain. I then felt the loneliness vanish in me. It would be us against him. I went down the steps one by one to join my friends.

— "Let's go! We have a war to win," I said, more determined than ever.

To be continued...

October : Book 2 and 3 on Wattpad