Chapters 12-2

After we sang a little too loudly, Asarys parked in the Walmart parking lot.

— "Girls, let's calm down," I said, "I still need my voice to party tonight."

Lexy went out first in search of a cart.

— "Are you still going to sing tonight?" Asarys asked.

— "No," I said, "I wouldn't risk it. Did you finish the video editing with what I brought you for the birthday?"

— "It's in the box," she confirmed. "The result is amazing."

— "Great, thank you. I hope she'll like my surprise."

**

Inside the store, it was nice. We felt like we were breathing again. According to Lexy and Asarys, Charles and Lily saw to the decorations themselves, while Faïz and Ray had been in contact with the caterer for a few days. We went through the department store following Lily's shopping list to the letter.

— "I'm going to call Victoria. I haven't spoken to her since Thursday. I want to make sure she's okay."

I grabbed my cell phone. That was when I saw William's message on the screen.

Hi, how are you? I hope everything went well for you. I'll see you tonight.

Strangely enough, I felt a touch of sadness mixed with a feeling of impassivity. I was happy that William was still speaking to me, but sad I had not managed to choose him over Faïz. Of course, Zoe, it's so much better to be a masochist. I silenced the little voice inside me and decided to dial Victoria's number.

— "Are you happy to be back with us?" she asked when she answered.

— "I don't know if I prefer the heat wave in LA or the winter of New York. Do you realize the two extremes I just went through in a few hours?"

She burst out laughing and then added,

— "I admit, it sounds crazy! Otherwise, it went well over there with my brother?" she asked me in a small voice.

— "Good." I forced myself to answer her as naturally as possible. "We got along perfectly well. I'll see you later to talk more about my stay, if you want."

Victoria worshipped her brother at all levels. She was a loving and faithful sister. I did not want her to be caught between two vices, nor did I want her to even feel obliged to listen to my confidences about him. It was out of the question that she would be involved in our stories. It was not her role.

— "Yeah," she grunted. "I'm very disappointed that you're part of this charade!"

— "I have no idea what you're talking about," I objected.

— "Cut the comedy. I'm not fooled. The only thing I don't know is who will be at my party, nor where it will take place."

— "I have no idea what you're talking about," I repeated.

— "It's a shame, Zoe. I really trusted you."

I repressed a sneer.

— "Vic, do your melodrama to someone else. Come on. Bye."

— "See you later, Zoe."

With the cart well filled, we headed for the check out. Then we had to go back to Elora to drop off the groceries. From what I had understood, Charles would take everything back to William and Julio's mansion.

— "I'll take my things to the villa and we'll get ready at your place, Lexy."

— "Don't forget to come back to the campus, girls. I left the surprise video for Victoria in my room," Asarys said, while unpacking the groceries at the register.

**

Putting all the bags in the trunk was an ordeal in the overwhelming heat.

— "The Mattews have butlers, cleaners, and gardeners, but we get stuck with the shopping. There's really something wrong," Lexy complained.

— "Consider yourself lucky you don't have to prepare tonight's banquet, Lexy. It's a simple task we've been given, so stop grumbling. It's for Vicky," Asarys pointed out to her.

She threw her hands up before sitting in the passenger seat of the car again.

— "I certainly wouldn't have done it for you, know it," she growled at Asarys.

During the drive, I was surprised to note how much I had missed Los Angeles. I was looking forward to getting back the Mattews.

— "Does the weather forecast show the same thing again for next week?" I asked the girls.

— "Apparently, it's over on Monday. We should return to our regular temperatures," Asarys told me.

— "There will even be big storms," Lexy added. "We really need them to put out the damn fires."

I was soothed to hear this good news. For once, I welcomed the rain with the greatest pleasure.