Chapters 5-5

Faïz, not having seen anything of this scene, took me by the waist and I wrapped my arms around his neck. I decided to ignore his girlfriend and get closer to him. His body froze, embarrassed by this carnal proximity. There was no more space between the two of us. I laid my head in the hollow of his neck. His smell intoxicated me. I knew that part of him struggled at that time, but I let myself be carried away by the music and forgot what was going on around us. We were alone, he and I. Nothing mattered anymore.

I closed my eyes to enjoy this moment. In his arms, time seemed suspended. As the seconds went by, I felt his body relax. Faïz lowered his weapons. His breathing became more intense, while his embrace tightened around my hips. Between us, there had always been two weights and two measures. We were constantly moving from one extreme to the other, from war to peace. I had always had a knack for deciphering people, but he was still a mystery to me. You had to admit it, he was impenetrable. What was he thinking about right now?

I hesitated to lift my head to look at him, for fear of ruining this moment when it was mine. The song was coming to an end and I was aware that it would be impossible for me to keep the moment. Without thinking, I put my lips against his neck and a slight shiver ran through him.

— "Zoe, stop it," he whispered to me in a tortured tone.

— "I... I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me," I said sincerely.

Faïz moved his face back from mine to look me in the face.

— "Please, stay away from me! I'm not the man for you."

His words were not addressed to me. He was, rather, trying to convince himself, because if I knew one thing well, it was that the eyes do not lie. The slow song ended. Faïz suddenly backed away. His slight smile faded, as if reality had suddenly caught up with him. I could not hide my annoyance. I had the feeling that my whole body was screaming from the inside. His heavy look pierced me. I wanted to confront him with his feelings, but my words got stuck in my throat. It was then he turned and found Rachelle standing a little further away from us. She, on the edge of tears, turned on her heels and walked with a furious step towards the exit.

— "Rachelle!" Faïz shouted.

He immediately went after her, leaving me alone in the middle of the floor. It was over... Everything was over. Asarys and Lexy rushed to meet me.

— "Zoe, come on!"

Lexy grabbed my arm.

— "It's gonna be okay. Uh... It's just..."

At the moment, I was fighting against sobs.

— "I just want to go home," I declared softly.

— "Can anyone take Zoe home?" Asarys asked our group of friends, already gathered around me.

They all volunteered, but Victoria decided.

— "Come on, Zoe. I'll take you home."

I tried to wish everyone a good evening as normally as possible. Their angry looks at my situation didn't help. I would have liked to leave this ball as discreetly as possible, but unfortunately my languid embrace with Faïz was already making everyone here talk. I was the couple breaker, the one who was given evil looks. Victoria and I finally arrived outdoors, in the parking lot, near the Escalade. I needed a little time before I got inside.

— "Victoria, give me a minute, please," I asked her.

She nodded in an understanding way, opened the driver's side door, and rushed into her SUV, leaving me alone in the twilight. The cool breeze did me a lot of good. I looked up to contemplate a cloudless sky. The moon lit up the stars that shone so clearly, as well as the opaque contours of the Dome. This view slowly calmed me.

At that moment, I promised myself that I would never make a move on Faïz again, and that I would do everything to move on. He had made his choice. From now on, I had to move on and move on.

**

We left the university less happy than when we'd arrived.

— "Do you want me to stay with you tonight?" offered Victoria kindly.

— "No, Vic. Don't worry," I reassured her. "If you want, you can go back to having fun after you drop me off."

— "Actually, I don't really want to anymore," she confided to me.

— "I'm sorry about all this. I didn't mean to ruin your evening."

— "You didn't ruin anything. I had enough fun for one day."

She turned down the radio volume. The rest of the journey was silent.