8

Skye's POV

I jumped in the front seat as Two-Bit pulled up. Pony climbed in the back and asked Brooke if she was comin. She said something about going to see Dal or what-not. I wasn't paying attention. "Ya guys comin' back later?" Pony asked as he got out.

Two-Bit nodded, "yup! After we go see Ma."  He shot me a questioning look, "any reason the school would call Ma today?"

Oh Shit...out loud I said, "I cut two classes...no big deal."  When he looked disappointed, "oh my god! You skip all the time!"

"I'm also not 14."

I stared out the window in silence. I didn't want to fight with my brother. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a red corvette on the side of the road, "Two, slow down. Socs!" I saw the fiery red hair and knew right away it was Cherry Valance and her minions.

Two-Bit slowed the car, "they're jumping someone!" He and I jumped out of the car, blades drawn. Two-Bit grabbed a soc by the collar and jacked him in the face. I kicked another in the balls and knees him in the face when he went down.

"Stupid Bitch!" He yelled holding his nose. Now it was 3 on 3. I realized then that it was Brooke that was getting jumped. She was on her feet, wiping the blood from her lip, but was still a force to be reckoned with. I definitely underestimated her.

The socs took off in their corvette promising us that it wasn't over, "you ok?" I asked Brooke.

She nodded, "thanks guys."

Two-Bit looked her over, "ya shouldn't be walkin' by yourself."

"I'm meeting Dally at the Dingo."

"We're heading there now. Ma works there during' the day." Brooke got into Two-Bit's car and we drove off. Ma was outside on her smoke break. Two-Bit kissed her cheek and he and Brooke went inside.

"I really hope that ain't you're brother's flavor of the week."

"Nah," I took one of her smokes, "Dally's sister."

Ma cocked her eyebrow, "since when does Dallas have a sister?"

"That seems to be everybody's question," I snickered a little.

Ma stubbed out her smoke, "I wasn't thrilled to get a call from school. Skye, ya gotta stop skipping class."

"I know."

She put her hand on my cheek, forcing me to look at her, "honey, you look so tired. I'm worried about you. I really think you need to talk to someone."

"I'm ok, Ma, really. I won't skip no more."

"Skye, it's not just that. You're hardly eating. Do you even hang out with Ponyboy anymore? Or Johnny? You're brother's concerned. I really think we should tell him."

"Ma! No! Two-Bit can't keep his goddamn mouth shut! He'll blab to the guys and everyone will hate me!"

"Skye, this is slowly killing ya!

"It is not!" My eyes filled tears.

She looked like she wanted to say more but her break was over. She hugged me, "we'll talk later." She handed me another cigarette, "I'll tell Keith that you're out here." She went back inside.

I slid down the side of the building, pulling my knees into my chest...calm down Skye. You got this.  Push this down, get hard, nothing can touch you.

Thank you Dally.