126

Skye's POV

Word got around fast that Brooke was in solitary confinement. Apparently, she went after the two girls that beat me up. I had no idea how long she was going to be in there. I tried to find out, but all the guards said it was none of my business. I got mouthy with one and she slapped me across my face.

Angela, Jess, Mandy, and I met outside at our spot during yard time. We smoked in silence, huddled in a group until the whistle blew. I headed back to my bunk and laid down. I wanted my mom. I wanted my brother. I wanted the gang.

"Hey, Matthews?"  Jack leaned over the bunk, "so Winston, huh?"

I snorted, "what about Winston?"

"I know where they took her.  Thought maybe you'd wanna go talk to to her."

I glared at her, skeptically, "what's in it for you?"

She smirked, "can't I be nice?"

"Not in this joint."

"Fair enough," she laughed, "There's nothing in it for me...yet.  I do you a favor and when I need one, you do one for me."

I wasn't overly thrilled with the idea, but I needed to make sure my best friend was ok, "fine.  Where am I going?"

"When they call us for lunch.  Head out like you're going to the mess hall, but take a left instead of a right," she handed me a a few bobby-pins, "you know how to pick a lock?"  I nodded, "course ya do." She rolled her eyes.

As everyone was headed to lunch, I darted left and crouch down in a small crevice.  I had perfect view of the door.  I waited for a bit and sure as shit, a guard came out with a tray of food. 

Once the guard left.  I pulled out the bobby-pins.  I was able to pick the lock fairly quickly, and slip through the door unnoticed.  It was darker in this hall, but as my adjusted, I was able to make out the shapes of the door, "Brooke!" I whispered as loud as I could.  When I didn't hear anything, I spoke a little louder.

"Skye?" I heard a faint voice coming from the end of the hall.

I pressed my ear against the door, "Brooke?"

"Oh my god! Skye?" She sounded close to tears.

"Are you ok?  Why'd you go after them?"

"I'll be fine.  They were talkin' shit and it pissed me off."  She was quiet for a minute, "how'd you find me?"

"I made a deal with Jack."

"You're such an idiot," but I could hear the smile in her voice.

"How long you in here?"

"I don't know."

I sat down next to her door, "we're gonna be ok."

Two-Bit's POV

Dal, Soda, Steve and I were playing poker like always, but this was different, Skye and Brooke weren't there.  I was so worried about Skye.  She's a tough kid, but everyone in Juvie is tough, and Skye has the tendency to be a smart ass.

Ponyboy hardly said two words since the fuzz hauled the girls away.  Soda said he was crying himself to sleep every night.  I felt bad for the kid.  Steve looked like hell too.  He was either drunk or stoned all the time, but then again so was I. 

"Right Two?" Dally snapped his fingers in my face.

"Right." I, then realized, that I had no idea what I agreed too, "What?"

"You an' me are visiting the girls tomorrow.  I gotta make sure Brooke's ok, man!"

"I hear ya.  I just need Skye to come outta there in one piece."

"Is your ma gonna go see her?"  Steve asked.

"Nope, she won't be able to handle seeing Skye in that place."  I just hoped I could handle seeing Skye in that place.