72

Skye's POV

After Brooke and Dal left, I went into the kitchen and grabbed a beer.  We could die.  That made me want to have a break down right there.  I felt my chest start to tighten, my breath quickening.  I set the beer down on the counter and curled up into the corner between the cabinet and the fridge.  I pulled my knees up to my chest.  I was shaking and sweating, but I was cold at the same time.  As much as I didn't want to cry, tears flooded my eyes.  I buried my face into my knees and sobbed silently, alone on the kitchen floor.

Johnny's POV

Brooke and Skye were right.  All of us guys weren't doing a damn thing to help them out.  I don't blame em' for goin' to Shepard's.  The girls were scared, not that they'd admit it, but they were.  Hell, I was scared for them.  I looked around at the somber faces of the gang.  It was like it just hit them that the girls could get hurt. 

I also hoped that Dal would get his act together.  He needs to pull his head outta his ass and be there for Brooke.  Hell, he treats me better than his own sister.  I know any of the guys would be there for Brooke, but it ain't the same.  Family is suppose to mean something.  I think Dallas forgets that.  Someone needs to remind him.

Soda's POV

We could die.  Brooke's words still circling in my head.  I got up to grab a beer, needing something to settle my nerves.  When I got to the kitchen, Skye was curled up on the floor with her back against the cabinets.  I knelt down next to her, "Skye?"  She didn't respond, but I could tell by the way her body was shaking that she was crying.  "Skye," I gently put my hand on her knee.  She didn't respond, just continued sobbing, "Skye, c'mon.  Hey, I know your scared.  It's ok.  It's gonna be ok."  She, again, made no indication that she heard me.  "Two-Bit!" I called out, "I need ya!"

He came into the kitchen, "Skye!" He knelt down next to her, "Skye, honey, it's ok."  He pushed her hair out of her face.  She opened her eyes and looked at him, "hey, it's ok.  I'm here."  He rubbed her back in small circles.  She slowly unfolded herself.  Two-Bit motioned to me to get her a glass of water.  She took some little sips and looked a little better.

"I wanna go smoke," she whispered.  She shakily stood.  Two-Bit pulled her into his arms and gave her a tight hug before helping her out to the porch. 

I took my beer and sat back down at the card table.  "Skye's freaking out." I muttered as I shuffled, "poor kid's scared outta her mind."

Skye's POV

I lit my cigarette, my hands still shaking slightly.  I'm glad it was Soda that found me and not Steve, he'd probably think that I'm a huge wuss.  I let the smoke fill my lungs as the nicotine relaxed me.

"You ok, kid?" My brother asked, his arm still around me.

"I don't know.  Two, I'm scared."

He took my face in his hands, "hey, I am not gonna let anything happen to you.  We're gonna be there the whole time.  Have I ever lied to you?"  I thought back on that one.  We would joke and tease each other, but he had never flat out lied to me.  I shook my head, "ok, I ain't about to start now."

We went back inside.  Steve was sitting on the couch.  He pulled me next to me and I laid my head on his lap.  He leaned over and kissed my cheek.  "You look exhausted.  Close your eyes, I'm right here and I'm not going anywhere."

I closed my eyes and felt a blanket being laid over me.  Steve held me and it was the first time I felt truly safe in a long time.