64

Skye's POV

Friday after school came up quicker than I expected.  My anxiety was through the roof.  I chain smoked an entire pack.  I don't think Brooke was doing much better.  She and Pony were sitting on the couch, trying to focus on a movie.  I couldn't even sit still.  I grabbed a beer from the fridge and leaned against the counter.  What if they want weapons? I touched my cheek, remembering how bad that bike chain hurt.  Brooke and I were gonna have those scars for the rest of our lives.  What if they say skin on skin, but bring weapons anyway?  I trusted Soc guys much more than the girls anyway.

I heard the front door open and Soda call out, "we're home!"  I fought back a smile as Steve came into the kitchen.

"You doing ok, Skye?"

I grinned, trying to hide my anxiety, "always."

He pulled me into a hug, "ya don't have to act tough all the time." 

I put my arms around his neck, "whose acting?"

He kissed the top of my head, "you worried about tonight?"

We let go, "maybe, I don't know. It ain't even so much about the council as the actually rumble."

Steve started to say something, but was cut off by Darry calling for me to come into the living room. I finished the rest of my beer and stood behind the couch. Darry faced Brooke and I, "set the date of the rumble for a Friday evening on our turf. The fuzz ain't likely to show up." Brooke and I both nodded, "stand your ground. Don't let them push you around."

"What if they don't agree to our terms?" Brooke asked.

Darry ran his fingers through his hair, "ok, me and Dal are coming with you."

"I'm going too!" Two-Bit stepped forward.

"This is our war council," I folded my arms stubbornly.

"Yeah, we didn't get to go to yours," Brooke agreed.

Dally rolled his eyes and stood up, "we're going and I don't wanna hear another word about it for you or Matthews." I wanted to protest, but Brooke shot me a look, so I just nodded. We're gonna look real tuff, going to a council with our brothers.

Angela Shepard was standing outside with Tori, Carrie, and Nicole when we pulled up. I jumped outta the back of the truck and made my way over to them. Angela and I shook hands, "thanks again for coming down."

"We got ya." She motioned to another group of girls walking toward us, "Tess and Meg Brumly, Tonya Baker, you remember Skye Matthews and this is Brooke Winston."

Tess nodded, "Matthews...been awhile.  Didn't know ol' Dally had a sister."  Brooke didn't react to that, but I cringed inside.  That was the last thing she needed to hear.

"Is this all of us?" I asked, quickly moving on.

"Depends on the rules," Meg said in an uncaring tone.  I looked at her to elaborate, but she gave me nothing.

We headed in to the Tastee Freeze.  Cherry, along with 9 other girls were there.  I was surprised to see Randy and Bob sitting behind them, "does Bob really not get it that part of the reason for this rumble is cause you're with Pony?" I muttered to her incredulously.

Brooke giggled at that, "should we tell him?"

"Maybe as a bargaining chip...follow our rules or we tell Bob?"  I slid into the same booth as Cherry.  Brooke slid in next to me.  The other girls crowded around behind us.  Darry and Dally stood off to the side.  "Rumble, a week from today. 8:30...East Side." I laid it out, not wanting to be there any longer than necessary.

"That's fine, but if it's on your turf, then we want to bring chains."

"Skin on Skin," Brooke spoke with a tone I had never heard before.  She was holding Cherry's gaze, "no weapons.  Fair fight."

"We've," she motioned her cheerleaders, "have never rumbled before.  We're too classy for that."

"Skin on Skin," repeated Brooke.

I saw Cherry glance at Bob quick.  He muttered something and she nodded, "skin on skin, but we get 4 extra girls."

Angela barked outta laugh, "Bitch, you crazy!"

I held up my hand, "1 extra."

"3," Cherry shot back.

"2". I glared at her, "final offer."

She and Bob exchanged some more, "fine."  We shook on it and stood  to leave, but Brooke leaned down and whispered something in her ear.  She turned red and gave Brooke the evilest glare as we left. 

The other girls headed back to their respective turfs.  Brooke and I climbed in the back.  We both lit up at the same time, "glad that's over."

"No shit," I exhaled a ring of smoke, "whaddid ya say to her."

Brooke laughed, "just told her if she breaks the rules, we're telling Bob."

I chuckled and threw my around her, "this is why we're besties."