Chapter 3

(Y/n)'s POV

A smile touched my lips as my brother waved happily from his seat in the cafe. We exchanged our secretive handshake before I gestured for Reki and Langa to take a seat.

"Order whatever you like. It's on me."
"Sis, we don't even have to pay," exclaimed Yuu.
"Eh? Why not?" Langa asked in confusion.

Yuu gestured for him to move closer, like a storyteller enigmatically enchanting their audience with golden wisps and spells for words. Langa, caught in my brother's grasp, leaned in to hear his mysterious answer.

I couldn't help but roll my eyes. Reki noticed my subtle frustration before letting out a laugh. Yuu simply flashed a cheeky wink towards us and returned to his flamboyant show.

"You know this cafe franchise, don't you?" he asked.
"Yeah, it's very popular especially with their aesthetic desserts that are tailored to each customer's preferences. There aren't any of these cafes in Canada. I'm pretty sure it first started up in..." Langa replied, slowing trailing off.
"Yep, in Australia. Our dad is the guy who made it."
"Eh?!"

This time, the rookie skater took a while to look around at the interior. This cafe positioned in the heart of the city had three levels, each with a different aesthetic appeal.

Yuu had chosen the second floor with a modernised luxurious design. Tall glass separated various booths with varnished wood creating unique structures not only as decoration but seats as well.

Small, iridescent lights illuminated the area, casting a mystical aura where some were dimmed for more variation. Larger lights lit up the bigger seating areas.

Of course, different styled drinks and desserts were offered on the separate levels. Yuu had ordered a mini hot chocolate served in a cute glass for himself, topped with whipped cream and small marshmallows, along with a very uniquely designed dish of vanilla ice-cream.

"We have yet another speechless kid on our ever-growing list," announced Yuu.
"(Y/n), this is amazing," Langa exclaimed.
"Heh thanks."
"Hey kids."
"Dad!"

Yuu rushed up to greet our dad, who quickly set the plates down in front of us before pulling his son in for a rough hug. My eyes caught Reki steal a piece of (favourite cake) for himself before I returned my attention to father.

"This a new friend of yours?" he gestured towards Langa.
"Yep."
"I hope she's not giving you too much trouble. Her and Reki make a very...uniquely troublesome team," father exclaimed.
"N-no, not at all," replied Langa.
"Is that a Canadian accent I hear?"
"Yes...sir."
"*laughs* Just (F/n) is fine."
"Guys, that's unfair! I can't understand," Reki whined.
"Dad, thanks for the treats but I have to show sis something," Yuu said whilst pushing our dad towards the stairs.
"Come on, I bring ya some sweets and this is what I get in return?"
"Love you, bye!"

Dad let out a rueful smile, greeting the employees who immediately bowed upon seeing their boss. Langa stared even long after our father had taken his leave. I placed a hand on his arm, concern etched in between my brow.

He seemed to break away from his memories and offered a small smile. I was suddenly brought to attention as Yuu placed his new project on the table and clicked his fingers in front of our eyes.

"People'd think you were having a lover's moment," he exclaimed teasingly.
"Yeah yeah, you're just jealous you can't confess to the girl you like."
"(Y/n)! I-I don't like her!"
"Does Yuu have a secret crush or something?" Reki asked, smirking.
"E-enough of this, we're not here for that. Take a look at this."

Reki and Langa leaned forward to examine the gloves my brother had placed on the table. They were simple fingerless leather gloves he had fashioned into suitable attire for skating, providing the user with better stakes.

The palm boasted a flexible protective pad with sturdy covering for the knuckles. Pushing a button on the palm allowed retractable fabric to cover the fingers for protection. Another on the back of the hand let the user tighten or loosen the glove according to their preferences.

I pulled the gloves on, testing the material as I stretched my fingers. Yuu asked me to click my fingers before stripes lit up along the back of my hand.

"This is great! Thanks Yuu."
"Did you make this yourself?" Langa asked, gently taking my hand within his.
"Yep."
"He's an aspiring engineer. He can make all sorts of stuff," said Reki.

We all watched as Langa played around with the gloves on my hands. A stream of warmth spread up my cheeks, extending from the fast ticking of the bomb within my heart.

His larger hands engulfed mine, his rough fingertips seemingly tracing along my skin. Thump thump thump went my heart. I desperately hoped he hadn't planted treacherous seeds of affection within my broken heart. It would only bloom lonely flowers.

Reki cleared his throat. Langa looked up, noticing everyone's eyes on him. His gaze soon returned to the hands he held before he dropped them almost as if I had burned him.

"*blush* S-sorry!"
"All good. Here."

I took the gloves off and passed them to him. He averted his gaze whilst taking them from my outstretched hand. Reki suddenly pulled the two of us together, smiling happily as we grunted in annoyance.

"My two awkward, loving friends," he exclaimed.
"Oi, let go unless you want to die."
"Y-yes ma'am!"
"Man Reki, you seriously can't win in a fight against her," said Yuu.
"On that note, let's go skate. I'm itching to feel the wind."

We hurriedly finished off the food father brought over before rushing outside. My brother got out a remote and called for his auto-piloted scooter, telling Langa to hop on behind him.

Reki and I hit the road with our skateboards and raced each other to the park. Our laughter filled the streets like ringing bells on a happy Christmas day. In that moment, we were undeniably content...and I could forget the sadness within as we skated and laughed like no tomorrow.