Chapter 60

(Y/n)'s POV

I glared at the male who had hurt my brother. He returned the gesture with a cocky grin before flipping me off. The crowds roared, half with excited cheers and the other with angry booing.

"I'd suggest you stop that if you want to keep your fingers," exclaimed Cherry.
"Roses have thorns, don't forget that," added Joe.

We turned back to face the front as the lights began to count down. I cracked my fingers, smiling innocently at Kai. He gritted his teeth before getting into position. As soon as the lights hit green, we were off.

I sprinted along the path and flipped onto my skateboard, accelerating to pull ahead of him. He swerved to the right, aiming to knock me into the crowds. A laugh passed my lips. Did he honestly think such a petty move would eliminate me?

Just before he crashed into me, I turned on my board to skate regular instead of goofy and utilised the momentum to skate across the raised dirt wall at the corner. He almost crashed but quickly regained his stability.

Rocks were scattered on the path. I easily manoeuvred between the sharp edges, accelerating even further, which only incited the cheering. Kai crushed the rocks with his fists as he passed them, closing the distance between us.

There was another sharp corner coming up. The fall would be incredibly harmful, though I grinned nonetheless and skated faster. However, before I could jump off, Kai pulled my hair as I let out a pained scream.

He swung my body until it came in contact with the rock wall. Pain erupted throughout my back, spreading to my arms and legs. I coughed up blood, spitting the rest onto the floor. Kai laughed, going in for another kick.

"Stop! You're killing her!" I heard someone yell.

I struggled to get up. His strength was inhuman. With another push, I managed to get on my feet, only to stumble forward. Warm arms immediately wrapped around my waist as Kai sped away on his skateboard.

"(Y/n), stop. You can't go on like this," Reki exclaimed.
"Tch, I'm not giving up just because of a few bruises."
"(Y/n)..."
"I'll be fine. You'll be there to catch me at the end."

He met my gaze before a determined smile broke out over his face. I picked up my skateboard as he moved aside to let me pass. Pain echoed across my body but I gritted my teeth and ignored it. It was nothing compared to the injuries I'd get when fighting.

I pushed, urging myself to hurry. Kai had gotten a long way ahead. So he clearly had a little brain in that head of his. Unworried about the situation, I dove off at the next corner. My body flipped in the air a few times before I landed just a few metres behind him.

Cursing under my breath, I rubbed my back as pain spread like wildfire upon impact. Kai looked behind only to glare at me as I neared. I flashed a wink, only further fuelling his fiery determination.

"How the hell did you catch up?!" he exclaimed.
"Don't you know who I am?"

I passed him at the next corner, ducking and spinning to avoid his hair grab. The abandoned factory was coming up. I immediately sped up, entering first with Kai right on my tail.

The tough male attempted to pass me but I manoeuvred my board to block his path. He growled in frustration to which I returned with a wink. Angered, he pushed me off the edge with such a strong punch that multiple screams caught in my throat.

Without a moment's delay, my hands gripped the rope attached to the ceiling. Despite it making my body contort from the pain, I began to swing back and forth. When I had gained enough momentum, I performed a final swing before letting go and landing on Kai's shoulders.

"You damn brat!" he yelled.

He wobbled and almost fell but his impressive strength allowed him to stay upright. I jumped off, snatching a random guy's board to land on before I passed the finish line mere seconds before Kai did.

The crowds roared with excitement, making the area vibrate with life. I collapsed in Reki's arms, almost gasping with the pain that came with the collision.

"Don't worry, I've got you," he said softly.
"(Y/n), what is wrong with you?! You could've gotten killed!" Yuu exclaimed worriedly.
"W-where's my thank you?"
"Rose, don't do that again," Cherry added, unable to hide the concern within his eyes.
"Damn, you had me worried for my life. If something had happened to you..." Joe started.
"Guys, she's not dead. She's here," Reki said while holding my hand.
"I wanna rest..."
"(Y/n), we're taking you to the hospital," Joe exclaimed.
"N-no!"
"Don't worry, I'll put myself down as your guardian. Your parents don't need to know," Cherry replied.
"Thank you..."

Cherry then turned to face Kai, who was sporting a scowl mean enough to rival the god of death. He angrily threw down the badge that allowed him to enter S and walked away, hopefully for good.

~Some time later~

My eyes fluttered open as voices rose in whispers around me. The first face that bombarded my view was Reki's. He threw his arms around me before I nudged his shoulder, trying to get him off.

"Oh, sorry," he said sheepishly.

Langa was suddenly by my side. I noticed Ayaka standing by the back of the room before Joe graciously blocked her from my view. Langa's fingers intertwined with mine as he held my hand.

"Guys, I'm not dying. Seriously. You all worry too much."
"You're lucky you don't have any broken ribs. Doctor says any more movement and you could've been in critical condition," replied Cherry.
"Yeah, (Y/n). Do you even know how- you know what? Nevermind. I'm just glad you're being your usual annoying self," Yuu exclaimed.
"Yes, I'm glad to see you too. Anyway, Langa, how'd you know?"
"Reki called me. I came as soon as I could. Ayaka insisted on tagging along," he answered.
"We were watching a movie together at my place until your friend called," she added, stepping into the conversation.

There was a challenge in her eyes. It was honest, unlike Ruka's. She wanted Langa. I held her gaze for a few more seconds before lowering my head. Gently removing my hand from Langa's, I turned to hide my face against Reki's arm, feigning exhaustion.

"(Y/n)?" Langa asked softly.
"Alright, let's give her some space. Throwing unsavoury meals at her face straight after she wakes up is bad for her health," Joe announced in good humour though we could tell it was a jab at Ayaka.

In truth, I couldn't compete against her. It was like comparing a broken piece of pavement to a diamond. I couldn't allow Langa to date me; to date a murderer. In that moment, I knew that Ayaka had him in her grasp. He would never be mine.