Chapter 12

(Y/n)'s POV

Today was finally the day of the beef between Miya and Langa. I was excited. I wanted to see Langa skate. I wanted to see the skills he had accumulated from snowboarding...my heart was pounding.

My fist collided with Jun's hand. Without wasting another second, I dragged my hand back, pulling him along with it. He used his other arm to block my other incoming fist, blocking his eyes but for a split second.

I utilised this chance to jump, pushing off and around his body until my legs were around his neck as we crashed to the ground. He tapped my foot when I squeezed tighter to stop his struggling.

"Jun, you're still no match for her," Kenta exclaimed.
"Sorry dad," he replied abruptly.
"But...you've gotten better."
"Never gonna be as good as the former leader's niece."

Jun was off before either of us could open our mouths to speak. The other yakuza members overtook the ring as Kenta and I went to sit by one of the surrounding rusted boxes.

"Jun's good. You shouldn't be so hard on him."
"I have to be if he wants to take over," Kenta said firmly.
"You know, as annoying as it may be, he's sorta holding back because I'm a girl. Well, I am a little too but only because he is."
"That's why he's weak."
"No, he isn't. He's up and running. Not everyone can do that if they saw their mother beat to death by an enemy their father made."

That shut him up. As guilty as I felt saying that, I didn't want him to 'mistreat' Jun. Perhaps Kenta might've been put through a life tougher than Jun...but he should've made sure his son would never have to experience the same pain.

A sudden commotion caught our attention. I stood on my tippy toes, trying to get a glimpse of what was happening. Kenta hoisted me onto his shoulder as if I was as light as a feather. I knew he used to do weightlifting but damn.

"Yuu!"

I jumped off, running towards my brother. I immediately grabbed the guy's arm, preventing him from touching Yuu. Cherry was with him, standing protectively in front.

"What the hell do you think you're doing to my brother?"
"Your brother? Luke might've been like family but this guy's an outsider," replied Arata, the guy who had tried to harm him.
"You touch him and you're dead," I spat.
"Hey, look here (Y/n)-"
"If my uncle was here-"
"Well, he's not, alright?!"

My mouth grew into a thin line. Cherry placed a hand on my shoulder. The members tensed, ready to start a fight if necessary. I turned around, ready to leave with them until I heard Yuu mutter something under his breath.

"Big fat oaf."
"Huh?! What did you just say?!" Arata questioned.

I wasted no time and wrapped my arms around Yuu, squeezing my eyes shut, ready for the crack of pain. None of it came. Nothing at all. I risked a glance back only to see Cherry had used his arm to block his stone-hard fist.

"Stop this! (Y/n) may not be an official member but she's our family. Sakurayashiki was also a close friend of the former leader. Any harm to them and her brother and you'll be dealing with me," Kenta exclaimed.

I flashed him a grateful yet apologetic smile before ushering Yuu and Cherry out. Cherry had parked his motorbike a while away, and so the three of us walked in silence.

My eyes immediately trailed to his arm. Although clothing covered it, I knew a large bruise would be coating his smooth skin. He caught me looking and heaved a sigh.

"So what were you guys doing there?"
"Sorry (Y/n), I just...mum has the day off today and she got really mad at me because I tried doing some tricks with my bike and you know how she gets about injuries..." he said softly.
"So he asked me if I could find you," Cherry finished.
"I didn't know you were here, with uncle's um clan I mean. I'm sorry..."
"Yuu, damn you for being so cute. It's impossible to get mad at you."
"*blush* Well, blame mum and dad for giving me these irresistibly cute looks."
"Pfft, idiot. Anyway, how's your arm, Kaoru?"
"It's fine," he replied curtly.
"Which means it's not. Arata's one of the strongest members. We're going to a hospital. I'll take care of the bill."
"Forget it. You're still a child."
"And you're an old man. Let's go."

He grunted in irritation. A small grin tugged at my lips. There was no backing out of going to get his arm checked and he knew it. Now it was just a matter of how the three of us were going to fit on his motorbike.

~At the hospital~

"(Y/n)! We heard you got hurt!" Reki exclaimed.

He was running towards us with Langa and Joe in tow. My eyes slid down to look at Yuu, who simply whistled and made an act of going to throw rubbish in the bin.

"It wasn't me. It was Kaoru."
"But Yuu said..."
"Well, no matter. Now that you're here, go give the guy a hug."
"I don't need any hugs," Cherry hissed.
"Ha! Look, the dimwit's actually got some sense. He knows he's too fragile to bear the weight of a heart-warming hug," Joe bantered.
"Say that again, you damn gorilla!"

I noticed Langa staring at me, seeming as if he still could not decide whether I was joking about Cherry getting hurt. A soft smile graced my face, aiming to dispel his worries. He didn't look convinced.

"You're still hurt," he said as he walked over.
"Hmm? How so?"
"Here."

His hand fluttered to my neck, touching a tender bruise hidden by my hair. I winced, making him still his hand. I had not realised I had gotten injured in the match with Jun.

"S-sorry," he apologised.
"(Y/n), you are hurt!" Reki exclaimed worriedly.
"I'm fine."

Langa noticed...when not even I had. Why was he watching me so closely? Why...did that make my heart pound? I blinked. Reki offered a cheeky grin to which I returned with one of my own.

"Langa, ready for your beef with Miya?"