Chapter 95

(Y/n)'s POV

Yuu was carrying my skateboard while Langa had my bag over his shoulder. I had just been discharged from the hospital, though aches still permeated my sore body. Silence surrounded us like a cloud of fire.

I shifted a subtle glance towards my brother, worried about his well-being after the foul prank Ruka had pulled. Reki had taken him to his house, leaving my brother in his mother's care that night.

"I'm fine. Ruka just assaulted me from behind. She didn't injure me," Yuu exclaimed.
"If you say so..."
"What about you? By the time you're 90, you're gonna have scars all over your skin."
"Hmm...would that make you hate me?"
"Huh? Of course not."
"Then everything'll be fine."

He rolled his eyes. I smiled despite his disapproving expression, a relief overtaking my mind that he hadn't been too heavily affected by the incident. Langa had remained silent this entire time though I could feel his subtle glances.

"If you have something to say, out with it. You're making everything awkward," Yuu exclaimed.
"I...don't really have anything to say," Langa replied.
"You're itching to ask my sister something."
"I already know everything I need to know."
"Do you really?"

The scenery of bland hospital walls changed to bright skies and reflective buildings as we stepped outside. I breathed in the fresh air, savouring the crisp scent after being 'detained' in a whitewashed room.

Someone was charging at us on a bike. Before I had time to react, Langa hurriedly pulled me in by the waist and turned me out of the way. Yuu flicked a pebble in their path, making the cyclist wobble.

My mind turned blank. Langa had been careful to avoid the large bruise on my back, yet his touch burnt my skin as if I had been in contact with a forbidden fire. Ruka had been ruthless in her insurance that I would remain quiet, ensuring I would leave Langa alone.

"T-thanks."
"You're welcome," Langa replied.
"Geez, do people not have eyes nowadays?" Yuu muttered.

A small smile graced my face. I glanced at Langa as he pulled away almost too quickly. Yuu noticed everything though made no move to comment despite the questions hidden in his eyes.

We rounded a corner only to bump into Miya. He looked at me, making a note of the minor injuries I still had. I smiled, greeting the male with a nonchalant cheerfulness; however, his gaze slid to my wounded wrist.

"You're clearly not as fine as you think," Miya commented.
"Well, I am."
"I've never seen anyone skate neck-to-neck against Adam and come out without broken bones. No, scratch that. You were challenging him with your skating. That level of skill..."
"I didn't beat him though."
"You could've if Ruka hadn't ruined it."
"It's always her..." I whispered, a slight tremor that disappeared as I hid it behind layers of indifference.
"Anyway, I need to borrow Yuu. Reki said he'd meet you two at the park once he's done with his job."

Before I could even utter a reply, Miya had taken my skateboard and shoved it into Langa's hands before taking off with my brother. An awkward tension immediately coated the air like honeyed poison.

I began walking, choosing to ignore the atmosphere. Langa followed without a word. I licked my lips, wanting to say something but it would be futile. Ruka had threatened me and I was not risking it for my selfish desires of love.

"(Y/n), do you...are you...lying to me?" Langa suddenly asked.
"Lying to you? How?"
"About everything."
"Has someone been giving you ideas? What I said that day is the truth."
"(Y/n)."
"Listen, I'm only tolerating your presence. Don't mistake this 'truce' as kindness."
"Is it because of Reki? Is he the reason why you won't tell me anything?"

Only silence answered his question. He appeared torn though decided to leave me unbothered by more difficult questions. Words threatened to burst from my mouth, a yearning to tell him of everything that had taken place. I resisted.

"*sigh* I won't make this harder for you. You can give me my bag and skateboard back. Ayaka's probably been bugging you to meet her."
"...it's fine."

His hand brushed against mine, a touch that should not have bothered me, yet an aching longing pounded in my heart. Ryota suddenly appeared, smirking once he noticed the two of us alone.

I rolled my eyes, preparing myself for his irritating comments. He slid in between us, wrapping an arm around my waist. I shot him a half-hearted glare, elbowing him in an attempt to make him let go.

"She's injured there," Langa exclaimed.
"Oh? Sorry sweetheart, did I hurt you?" Ryota asked me, a hint of mockery hidden beneath his concerned tone.
"My injuries will heal faster if you go away."
"Come on, why are you always so cold?"
"Let go."

He stared at me, his gaze defiant, before he eventually released me. An arrogant grin settled on his face. I moved so that Langa was standing in between the two of us. He displayed no reaction and simply continued walking.

"Did you two fight?" he eventually asked.
"No, I've just gotten tired of him."
"Princess, lying's not very good. I know you dream of me every single night," Ryota teased.
"Gosh, must you be so infuriating? Just get over it. I'm tired of you and I'm ready to move onto my next guy."

The park came into view. An immense relief settled in my chest as I spotted Reki waving us over. He immediately pulled me in for a hug though was quick to let go when I winced. He offered an apologetic smile.

I leaned my forehead against his shoulder, needing a moment of rest. Two words escaped my mouth, whispered as ephemerally as the wind's brief caress. I'm tired. His hand squeezed my arm, telling me I could lean on him whenever I needed.

"Here's her stuff. Ayaka asked me to meet up," Langa said.
"You're not skating with us?" asked Ryota.
"No one invited you to," Reki huffed at my 'boyfriend'.
"No," was Langa's short reply.
"Your loss."