Chapter 43

(Y/n)'s POV

Reki slowly sat up, holding his arm close to his body. I moved his face to check for injuries but it seemed he was mostly unharmed, minus the minor scratches here and there.

"I'm fine," he said.
"You're not."
"(Y/n)-"

I left him with Langa before stalking over to Ruka, who had donned an arrogant smirk. Without wasting another second, my fist connected with her jaw where a hard crunch or rather a hard knock could be heard.

She stumbled to the ground. Hot blood oozed out of a cut on her lip, and a small bruise was forming where I had punched her. She growled angrily, seemingly infuriated by the fact that I would dare to harm her.

"What gives you the right to do that?!" she shrieked.
"Then what gave you the right to hurt Reki? He didn't do anything!"
"You're just an insolent, little brat who-"
"Whoa ladies, break it up," Joe exclaimed.

He kept a hand on my arm, afraid that I would start destroying her petty face. She had gotten up with the help of one of her guards. I cocked a threatening grin towards her before she headed towards us.

I twisted my arm from Joe's grasp but felt him grab my fist before it could even touch Ruka. He quietly shook his head but my mind was swirling with thoughts of anger, loathing, and sadness.

"Damn, you punch really hard," he commented.
"Reki's okay," Langa said quietly.
"No, he's not."
"(Y/n)-"
"Don't, I-"
"I'm fine! Please, I'm fine, okay?" Reki exclaimed.

I stared as he pushed past the crowds, leaving us for want of...some time alone. A dagger had pierced my heart. My heart had been crying. Ruka harmed Reki because of me, and his heart was now also aching...because of me.

Ruka's shoulder scraped against mine but I couldn't even react to her petty attempt at provocation. Reki...I needed to do something. He was hurting and I didn't know what I had done.

"(Y/n), oi," Joe called.
"I'm..."
"Are you alright?"
"Sorry, I have to go."
"Wait!"

I was skating away, avoiding all the crowds. Thankfully they moved before I reached them. There was a sharp bend at the next corner. A boy was skating the opposite way. I swerved away at the last second, rolling until my back hit a tree.

A pathetic sigh left my lips. I leaned back against the trunk, ignoring the dull pain forming where my body had crashed against it. For a short moment, everything was peaceful.

"(Y/n)."

Langa knelt down beside me after fetching my board.

"Do you- I mean, are you..." he started, unsure of what to ask.
"No, I don't need any hugs or comfort. I'm gonna start crying if you offer comfort. And essentially yes, I'm fine."

He was silent for a few seconds. I didn't think he was going to do anything until he held up his hand, palm up. Hesitantly, I placed my hand over his. Moments passed before a contagious burst of laughter escaped my mouth.

"What am I supposed to be? A dog?"

No reply was given. I tilted my head to the side in confusion but he seemed just as confused as I was. His fingers interlocked with mine, his eyes glued to our weaved hands.

"I wanted to comfort you without making you cry," he exclaimed.
"Oh..." I replied dumbly.
"You're very strong."
"Where did that come from?"
"Damn it...this isn't going very well."

He opened and closed his mouth as if he wanted to say something but didn't know what. I offered a small smile before getting up. He moved to follow me, when we formed a pleasant rhythm with our steps.

"Let's go find Reki."

The heartache began tearing at me again. What was I supposed to do? I couldn't think. Reki's pain had been caused by me. I could only apologise but that would simply make matters worse. He didn't deserve a frustrated apology.

Suddenly headphones were placed over my ears before soft music began to play. Warmth gathered behind my eyes, spreading to my chest. My steps slowed as the lyrics struck my heart, igniting sparks of memories within my mind.

A single tear slid down my cheek. I hurriedly wiped it away, hating myself for being weak. Tears began falling like a waterfall, where I eventually didn't have the willpower to wipe them away anymore.

"Langa...what the hell...I told you I'd cry..."
"It's better to let it out rather than keep it all in," he said quietly, staring down at the path in front of us.

I didn't say anything. My voice was still shaky and I had already heard about the situation with his dad from Reki.

"I asked Reki," he began.
"...about?..."
"The songs. I asked if he knew what kind of music you liked or if there were any particular songs you couldn't let go of."

A small smile peeked through the sadness. His face brightened upon seeing the halt in my tears. My cheeks deepened to a light pink before I turned my head to hide it.

His fingers brushed against mine, making my heart thump like a beating drum. It wasn't long before he tentatively reached for my hand, almost like a nervous child about to steal some candy.

"Did you or do you have a girlfriend?"
"Eh? No..." was his only reply.
"Anyone you were close with or liked?"
"No one in particular."
"Sorry for asking such weird questions. I just thought you knew the little ways to comfort someone, albeit awkwardly, because you did it for someone you liked."
"I watched Reki."
"Do you like Reki?"
"Yeah."
"Oh...do you want me to help you guys get-"
"No. I meant as a friend."

This time, I was drowning in laughter. He simply stared at me in confusion, unsure of what to make of the situation. I squeezed his hand to reassure him that I hadn't gone delirious.

A smile was plastered on my face. How could he make me feel so many emotions in such a short amount of time? This boy was a mystery...and I was falling for this mystery novel of a prince.

"Little Rose, I'd rather not wait any longer for your answer," said a voice I knew all too well.