Chapter 21

(Y/n)'s POV

The crowds roared, people chose their sides. The atmosphere was hot, chaotic and adventurous. I took in the sounds, the attitudes presented, but most importantly, the smiles on my friends' faces.

"I hope you're ready to lose, Rose," challenged Ruka.
"Artemis, I could say the same to you."
"Oh I've got a little treat prepared for you."
"Do your worst."

We turned to face the front, waiting for the lights. A sudden voice echoed in my head, cooling the fast, heated pounding of my heart. Don't let them bugs bite, (Y/n). Of course I wouldn't, Luke. Ruka couldn't break me.

"(Y/n), see you at the finish line," Reki exclaimed.
"Good luck," added Langa.
"She doesn't need luck," commented Miya.

Cherry and Joe simply gave an affirmative nod. A faint smile touched my lips as the lights began to count down. Ruka and I immediately stood in position, bending down before the final call.

With not a second to waste, we were both racing away. I began running and threw my board down, performing an effortless flip to land on it. Ruka had executed a quick yet beatific spin to pass the corner, dancing lightly on her toes as she did so.

Her skating closely mimicked the movements of a graceful swan, similar to the one known in the famous Swan Lake. A determined grin stretched on my face as I accelerated and slid up a small hill.

Langa's POV

My eyes remained glued on the big screens, watching as (Y/n) and Ruka raced neck to neck, each vying to win. I was surprised by Ruka's style of skating. It felt as if a ballet performance had been placed on the course, enchanting all with her grace.

(Y/n) suddenly flipped over the hill, spinning in the air as she glided to land whilst flashing a cheeky wink towards the camera. My heart pounded ferociously, almost passionately. An ignition had sparked inside my blood, fuelling the need to skate.

"Damn, how did she do that?" Shadow exclaimed.
"My sister practised," said Yuu.
"We all do, kid," replied Joe.

A glance towards Reki was all I needed to know he was anxious, though he hid it well. Ruka's ability to turn corners at an accelerating speed was enough to catch both Cherry and Joe's attention.

(Y/n) pulled ahead with a sudden twist of her board, making me turn to look at Reki, who heaved a huge sigh in relief. Confusion overtook my features, wondering when she'd asked him to re-model her board.

"We came up with the idea mostly as a joke. I didn't know if she could pull it off, neither did she...but she asked for it anyway," he explained.
"You made it so that her board could spin?" asked Cherry.
"Yeah, though it can also lock back into place, thanks to Yuu's help. Wait, where is he anyway?"

Reki was right. He was gone. Ruka's voice carried through the speakers as she spoke with (Y/n), her tone a vile replication of a venomous snake trapping its prey. My body froze in dread.

"Ne, I think you should forfeit," she exclaimed.
"No way in hell," (Y/n) replied.
"You should really stop thinking about yourself."
"What are you talking about?"

Her beautiful eyes swept over the track, searching for something we could only guess at. Yuu was suddenly broadcasted on the screens, with a large man holding him captive and another standing watch.

"Your brother might just die tonight, like how you killed mine," Ruka spat angrily.
"Hmph, you're scared of me, aren't you? Why else would you use such methods?"
"You must want him to die then."
"Kill him...if you can."

A hand grabbed onto the man holding her brother. He was flipped over and knocked out before the same happened to the other one. Yuu donned a relieved smile and fist bumped his rescuer. That was...that guy, Jun.

The look on Ruka's face as (Y/n) rode away was one of shock and disbelief but above all, hatred. She seemed to be made of the dark matter itself, accelerating faster and faster before dancing and spinning over the corners.

(Y/n) performed a grab and cartwheeled over the hill after throwing her board onto the track. The two were nearing the abandoned factory, with (Y/n) slightly ahead.

They were like two sides of the moon. The girl I had my eyes set on was grinning as if she had learnt the biggest secret of all whilst Ruka remained a manifestation of hatred, her mouth a sorrowful frown.

We immediately made our way there, watching to see the end of the race. My eyes met (Y/n)'s exhilarated gaze before her mouth curved into a gently content smile. My heart began racing.

"Go (Y/n), she's catching up!" yelled Yuu.
"Dude, don't you know your sister? She's gonna win," Reki replied.

Ruka suddenly pushed (Y/n) off the landing where the railings were broken. It seemed that the world had stopped turning. I was rushing towards her despite Joe's telling me she was going to be alright. Her board fell to the ground before she grabbed a hook and swung herself forward with a strength I didn't know she possessed.

"Langa!" she called.

I hurriedly slid my board across the ground as she landed on top with the grace of a deer. Ruka and (Y/n) crossed the finish line straight after. She won...(Y/n) won. She was immediately surrounded by her friends, her face an embodiment of happiness.

She was in front of me within seconds, jumping onto my body without a warning. My arms instinctively wrapped around her before we both fell to the ground.

"Thanks, honestly thank you," she whispered.
"You're welcome...um, what exactly did I do?"
"You knew to give me your board, didn't you? But...thanks for trying to catch me."
"*blush* I-I was-"
"(Y/n), don't do that again! You scared me to death!" Yuu exclaimed worriedly.

He pulled his sister up while pouting. She immediately embraced him, waving a hand of gratitude to Jun, who returned the gesture before quietly taking his leave.

"(Y/n), I will get you back for this!" Ruka said angrily.
"Good luck with that," (Y/n) replied.
"You had the nerve to push her off and now you're saying you'll get back at her? You're insane," Reki stated in irritation.
"That's none of your concern, Mr Sidekick. Because of that girl, I lost. Because of her, I lost everything."

With that, Ruka left the scene.

"Yo (Y/n), nice beef," said Joe.
"Ne, I'm hungry," she exclaimed.
"Everyone's here celebrating your win and the first thing you say is you're hungry?" Cherry asked with a raised eyebrow.
"Come on, let's go. If Cherry doesn't want food, he can go home."
"Hey!"