Chapter 23

(Y/n)'s POV

Whilst Reki went to get Cherry, I sat on the floor, watching Langa practise. Shadow and Miya stood beside me, their eyes on the blue-haired skater executing tricks with a need to improve, almost as if he was overtaken by that desire.

A bitter smile crossed my face. Despite only having been taught the basics, he had already mastered the trick Adam had used in his beef against Reki. How much would he continue to improve? Would we all...be left behind?

"He's not human. How can someone become that good so quickly?" Shadow questioned.
"He's on a totally different level," commented Miya.
"Like Adam...like Hades. You know any of his tricks, (Y/n)?"
"Why? Do you wanna learn them?"
"Hell yeah! Then I'll become even better of a skater and knock Adam off his board-"
"Pfft, say that when you manage to beat me first," Miya retorted.
"Huh?! Are you challenging me?"

Langa suddenly stopped and knelt down in front of me. I offered a small smile before it manifested into a look of confusion as he continued to stare at me. Worried, I put a palm to his forehead, as the male's eyes widened ever so slightly at my action.

"Are you sick? Do you need medicine or something?"
"(Y/n), Shadow asked if you could teach him your uncle's tricks. Can I learn too?" he asked.
"Sure, I guess."

I took his offered hand and let him pull me up. My uncle's skating visualised in my mind, a plethora of images overlaying over the other as I pondered the right trick to teach him.

His skills were unmatched, much like uncle's. No matter how hard I practised, I always fell short. I could never mimic his exact movements, his smooth posture. Did I really have any right to teach Langa?

"(Y/n)?" he said tentatively.
"Do you trust my skills?"
"I trust them. I trust you."

A smile broke out on my face. His mirrored my own as he stood back to watch with the others. I started off slow before gaining more and more momentum. Going back and forth multiple times, I eventually gained enough force to attain the height I wanted.

Without losing another moment, I performed a spin whilst holding my board, lasting a total of five spins. Shadow's gasp reached my ears, seemingly worried about how I'd land but I wouldn't have chosen a trick I couldn't even execute properly.

The ground came closer till my skateboard touched its surface, cruising smoothly in a direction different to that of when I pushed off the ramp. Loud cheering overwhelmed the area whilst the rest of us were silent.

"There's a little more to it, where you can turn straight after landing but we'll get to that once you can do this."
"(Y/n), I haven't seen you do any of your uncle's tricks in ages! That was awesome!" Reki exclaimed as he rushed over.
"It reminds me of him," Cherry reminisced.

The pink-haired man offered a smile before moving to speak with Shadow and Miya. Reki's large eyes found mine, revealing nothing but a cocoon of warmth and excitement.

"That move...your uncle perfected it for Luke," he said softly.
"Reki...I miss him..."
"(Y/n)!" Langa called.

The sorrow immediately disappeared from my eyes, the longing replaced with nonchalance. A surprised yelp erupted from my throat as Langa grabbed both of my hands with an expression akin to that of a happy child.

"I think you've broken him. He idolises you," Reki teased.
"Oh yeah? You only wish you were me."
"You think I want to be a grumpy old lady? Give me a break."

I began laughing, not realising Langa had been staring at me. A faint blush coated my cheeks once I turned to meet his gaze. Paying no mind to this, my fingers curled around his before leading him to the ramp.

"Come on, I'll teach you how to do the trick."

~At Joe's restaurant~

Whilst they were discussing ways to beat Adam's Love Hug, I put my head against Miya's back, feigning exhaustion. He didn't seem to take notice of the worry clouding my thoughts.

Langa's beef against Adam was just around the corner, yet something else had taken over half the anxiety plaguing my body. 'Meet us at this address if you don't want your friend to get hurt. Come alone or else he dies,' said the message.

Along with that message, they had sent a picture of Jun tied to a chair, bruised and bloodied. I had no idea how many of them there were or what they even wanted. A single glance towards Langa made my heart ache.

As much as I'd like to help him, I had to save Jun. I was suddenly startled by Miya turning his head, making me look up. He took in my blank expression, his eyes surreptitiously skimming the open message on my phone.

"Are you going?" he asked.
"Yeah. I'll be back soon."
"Is something wrong?" Cherry asked, noticing the skepticism on Miya's face.
"Her friend's been kidnapped and they want her to go," Miya replied.
"H-hey, don't-"
"Oi, don't tell me you were thinking of going alone?" Joe questioned.
"I was and I will."
"What if you get hurt? What if they kill you?" Reki exclaimed worriedly while grabbing my shoulders.
"We're all going," said Joe.
"No, you're not. They'll kill him if you go."

Reki's hands tightened their grip on my shoulders, almost as if I'd disappear if he didn't. A small smile touched my lips but before I could move his hands away, Langa's featherlight touch gripped my sleeve.

"You guys, I'm not gonna die."
"*sigh* What's with everyone trying to rush head in like a lunatic? Haven't you guys considered making a plan? We could ambush them," suggested Cherry.
"Great idea! Time for the antihero of S to make a comeback," Shadow said.
"Then what plan do you suggest, Cherry? I'm scared they'll hurt him if I wait any longer."

An innocent smile crossed his face, making the rest of our blood run cold. He folded his arms, his lips tweaking into a smirk before replying.

"We move S to that location for tonight. Let's call it a special event."