Chapter 70

(Y/n)'s POV

Langa had come by everyday to walk with me to school. He never entered the house nor did he stand just outside. He often stood a few blocks down, muttering something about being nervous every time I asked.

Although I had insisted I was fine after he had taken me to the hospital last week, he came nonetheless and hadn't left a day where he wasn't with me. A small part of me was happy that he had come, though I was afraid that this fragile happiness would disappear.

His face lit up upon seeing mine before he took my bag. I had long given up arguing with him about this and let him do whatever he pleased. My heart warmed and tingled at how much attention he was paying me.

"Hey."

He smiled in response as we began walking. Goosebumps rose across my skin every time his fingers brushed against mine. Every day, eventually they'd tentatively linger a little longer until he had my hand in his.

"No Ayaka today?"
"She hasn't shown up today," Langa replied.
"Speaking about me?" the girl asked after popping out of nowhere.

My mood immediately dropped upon seeing her walking on Langa's other side. She tentatively took his free hand, smiling brightly at the male who suddenly looked extremely uncomfortable.

Ruka's twin had occasionally joined us on our walks to school, worsening my mood every time I saw her face. She became less and less concerned with my presence, determined to win Langa's heart.

"I brought you something. I asked our chef to make you some lunch," she exclaimed, holding out a cute lunchbox.
"I already have lunch," he replied.
"It's alright. You can eat this after school."
"Listen, can't you see that you're making him uncomfortable? Leave him alone. It's clear that he doesn't wanna hang with you."

She turned to look at me, as if my presence had come as a surprise to her. I held her gaze as she gathered her thoughts, tilting her head to the side as if she was wondering why I was still with them.

"I want to be with him. I have to get him to warm up to me," she replied.
"Even if he's not interested?"
"He will be in due time."
"I guess stupidity and stubbornness run in the family."
"Look, I know you're not fond of me but do you really have to be so rude? I have done nothing to you."
"True but you're just like your sister."
"My sister and I may be twins but we're two different people. Don't make the mistake of grouping us into a single person."
"Or what? You'll yap at me like an annoying guard dog?"
"Stop, I'm not in the mood for arguing."
"Whatever your royal highness wants. Your parents seem to spoil and baby you so much."

Her gaze suddenly turned sharp and arrogantly irritated, looking so much like her sister in her demeanour that I almost stumbled. She clung to Langa's arm, her hair shadowing her face as she looked down, a seething anger permeating her thoughts.

An ache pounded in my heart upon seeing her cling to him like glue. I looked away, willing myself to stay calm. A dreadful silence stretched out as we walked and walked. The subtle pain in my side only worsened as the mood dropped.

"I see why my sister finds you so intolerable now. You're a good for nothing brat raised by lawless gangsters who kill people for fun. I wonder why your parents let this happen or what your murderous uncle was thinking when he allowed his niece to partake in such horrendous activities," she exclaimed quietly.

Anger coated my vision in red. My body trembled. My thoughts went blank. She had so easily insulted my family like she was critiquing the weather. Before I could react or even begin to talk back, Langa abruptly stopped.

His eyes were angry when he turned to look at Ayaka. His hand squeezed mine tightly, stopping the trembling. Ayaka's demeanour immediately changed from irritated rich girl to worried girlfriend as she fretted over Langa's behaviour.

"Langa, what's wrong? I-"
"Apologise to her right now," he exclaimed in a dark tone.
"I didn't say anything wrong. If anything, she should apologise first for starting this mess. Why are you taking her side?"
"Let go of me. I don't have anything to say to you anymore."
"Langa-"
"You insulted her family. Do you...really think I'll fall for a girl who takes pleasure in harming others?"

She appeared physically wounded by his words. Langa pointedly ignored her until she reluctantly let go. He pulled me away before I could make a remark of my own, which would have resulted in a serious fight.

Neither of us spoke as we headed to school. I didn't realise how affected I was until Langa squeezed my hand reassuringly. He looked at me as we walked, noticing the subtleties with my expressions.

"Are you okay?" he asked.
"No, I'm annoyed."
"Is there anything I can do to help?"
"...I could've defended myself. You didn't need to put yourself on bad terms with her."
"I was mad," he whispered.

I opened and closed my mouth, finding that I didn't have a suitable response. His gaze returned to the scenery. My eyes stole glances at his cool exterior, seeing past the indifferent expressions.

Before he could take another step, I moved in front, stopping him in his tracks. He simply shot me a confused look as I took a step closer and peered into his face. The faintest blush dusted his cheeks.

"You're upset."
"Of course I am," he replied.
"Is there anything I can do to help?" I asked, repeating his words back to him.

An amused smile passed his lips.

"Yes," he answered.

His arm snaked around my waist, careful to avoid my wounds, and pulled me closer. I almost melted when I was wrapped in his warm embrace, releasing the breath I didn't know I was holding.

I looked up to find him watching me, his nose touching mine. A large grin spread across his face before he closed his eyes and leaned his forehead against mine. My cheeks immediately flushed beetroot red.

"Why are you smiling like a doofus?"
"Because I like being with you," he replied.
"...idiot."

He leaned back, smiling even broader than before. My heart almost stopped upon seeing the pure happiness gracing his features. I hadn't known I could make him smile like that. The realisation made a soft smile tug at my lips.

"You finally smiled," he exclaimed.