Chapter 75

(Y/n)'s POV

The boy deflected the incoming bullets with his seemingly unbreakable katana, giving both Miya and I a hard shove. A cold sweat broke out as my body trembled upon hearing the shower of gunshots; however, I was given no time to stop.

Miya was still clutching my hand, his grip anchoring me into this reality and away from my painful memories. The girl was riding roller blades, skilfully executing acrobatic tricks to defeat the guys that had gotten past her brother.

"Oi boy, use your skateboard!" she yelled.
"But-"
"Do you want to die?!"
"Go, I'll be fine," I reassured him.

He reluctantly left, managing to pick up distance between himself and our pursuers. I flipped over abandoned carts and discarded trash whilst the girl and her brother tried to hold them back but their priority was fleeing.

I spotted a worn skateboard by the side of a building beside other abandoned items and hurriedly picked it up. Without wasting another second, I jumped on and skated away. The boy followed me, finding a skateboard of his own.

"Don't even think about escaping. Follow me. Ria, get the boy," he exclaimed.

With a frown marring my face, I followed him but it turned into more of a race as we each vied to get ahead of one another. A playful grin graced his face as his gaze met mine. Surprise overtook my features. He was enjoying himself even though I was nothing but a mere target.

The shouts of our pursuers eventually lessened and disappeared. We skated over rails and performed tricks over ledges with the wind rushing at our bodies, gliding its slender fingers through our tousled hair.

I stopped when he did though his hand shot up to grab my arm to prevent me from escaping. His sister returned with Miya, who didn't seem to have any major injuries, much to my relief.

"Who are you people? You abduct me out of the blue and expect me to willingly obey? Offer me some compensation and then I'll consider listening to what you have to say," Miya exclaimed.
"Stop being such a brat. Your sister's gonna pay for it if you don't stop whining," said the guy.
"He's not my brother. Let him go."

Miya simply donned an innocent expression when the guy turned back to look at him. His glare was menacingly furious. My fingers curled around Miya's hand as soon as he came to stand beside me.

"Then that other blondie was her brother?" questioned the girl named Ria.
"What'd you do to him?"
"Don't worry, princess. We left him alone because this guy lied and said he was your brother," replied my captor.
"Let us go. You've scared us enough."
"Oh no, not yet. There's still something we need you to do. We got paid a lot for this job. And unless you want to see your fake brother hurt, I'd suggest you do as I say."

My mouth drew into a thin line as he dialled a number into his phone. The girl offered us what I assumed to be an encouraging smile though it appeared more like an awkward scowl. Miya pointedly ignored her.

I waited for the guy to finish his call, surprised when he passed the phone to me. Ruka's poisonous voice filtered through, making me frown even further upon hearing her greeting.

"Did you enjoy the entertainment?" she asked innocently.
"What do you want?"
"I don't know if you know but Ayaka's currently hanging with your boyfriend. I know, you're wondering why. Let me explain so that your dumb brain can understand."

There was a slight pause. Not long after, a recording started to play.

"I can't keep this up anymore. I'm tired. It was fun toying with his feelings...who? Langa, of course."
"So? What are you gonna do?"
"I don't know, I'll keep pretending till he realises. I'm a bad person, it's nice that he thinks I'm good. But you know, breaking hearts is what I do."
"Was anything real between you guys?"
"Not on my side. The trauma, the fun, everything was fake. I enjoyed it at first, the acting that is. Now it's tiring."
"What happens when he finds out? Won't he tell that other boy? What was his name? That redhead?"
"Reki. Hell no. Reki's a real friend. Don't worry, all we need is a little hostage."
"Hostage? Who?...his mum?"
"Of course, who else? He lost his dad so he cherishes her a lot."
"Damn, remind me not to get on your bad side."

The blood rushed from my head. I couldn't breathe. That was my voice, along with some random boy's. Horror and fear gripped my heart, making it pound and beat like a mad demon. Ruka's chuckle brought me back to the phone call.

"My sister played that for Langa. It was easy getting someone to fake your voice. I'm sure he's having doubts about your friendship now," she exclaimed.
"You really think he'll believe that?"
"That's where you come in. You have to make him believe that it's true."
"And why would I do that?"
"I have men stationed just outside his house. His mum's inside watching TV. Oh and your brother? Currently sulking in your dad's cafe because Miya got taken away and I have someone making sure he stays there. I have people everywhere. If that's not enough, how about I also make your family bankrupt?"
"You're horrible."
"So I take it you'll agree?"
"...fine."
"Good. No hard feelings. I mean, I hate you so this is enjoyable for me. But I also want my sister to be happy."

The boy took his phone from me before I could drop it. Miya tightened his grip on my hand upon seeing the fearful, heartbroken look on my face. Even the boy and girl appeared sympathetic to my pathetic situation.

"Here," he said whilst holding out his gun.
"N-no..."
"Come on, you have to make this look believable. I'm not about to get my reputation ruined by doing a bad job. Pretend you were fooling around."
"Oi boy, come hide," said Ria.

As soon as Miya was pushed behind some bushes with Ria crouching beside him, the boy forcibly passed the gun into my shaking hands. I then heard footsteps behind us. Dread turned my stomach into a snake pit. I turned around to come face to face with Langa and Ayaka.