Chapter 89

(Y/n)'s POV

The abandoned factory stood looming over us, a nightmarish addiction waiting to swallow us whole. Joe smirked and sped up, smashing through the wall to create a shortcut for himself.

I accelerated, unwilling to back down, and kicked my board up to slide along the rails. Joe glanced back, meeting my determined gaze. He jumped up, swinging against a hook, which came rushing my way as soon as he left.

My eyes hurriedly scanned the area. There was a large bouncy costume in the crowd. I grabbed onto the swinging hook, allowing its momentum to pull me through the air. Swinging back and forth, I took a deep breath and let go.

The force of the swing allowed me to jump onto the costume and use its buoyancy to jump back up. I spotted Ryota push Langa dangerously close to the finish line, where Joe and I were currently heading.

Joe immediately grabbed my arm, pulling me in close as we swerved to the side to avoid the two boys. I squeezed my eyes shut, feeling Joe take the force of the landing. He gently released me before I hurriedly helped him up, checking for any major injuries.

"(Y/n), are you okay?!" Reki asked as he rushed over.
"I'm fine."
"What? And I don't get asked if I'm okay?" Joe said jokingly.

I turned to see what was going on between Ryota and Langa only to see the former punch my ex-friend. Langa stumbled to the ground but not before swinging his leg to trip Ryota. The two glared at one another.

"You have no right to lecture me about relationships when you can't even tell the difference between a pretty lie and the cruel truth!" Ryota spat, turning into a cauldron of hot fury.
"At least I'm not a liar who treats human lives like livestock ready to be eaten alive," Langa retorted, his anger boiling beneath a cold surface.
"Says the coward who doesn't even have the resolve to save anyone."
"You're no better than me. You're just a mindless machine who only exists to serve others."

The crowds started taking bets on the two, forming a large circle around them. Both Langa and Ryota looked to be readying to throw punches at each other. Before anyone could stop me, I rushed forward to stand between them.

Both the boys swerved their fists to the side, barely missing my head, The wind from the force of their punches hit my skin like a harsh breeze. The two were serious about this fight. A frown marred my face.

"(Y/n), move," Ryota said, his tone dangerous.
"No."
"Sweetheart, as much as I love you, I won't hesitate to use force if you keep standing in my way."
"Then feel free to hurt me. I'll gladly take you on."
"(Y/n), please move. This is between your boyfriend-"
"Langa, don't even start. You know how I am so you'll know that I won't be budging one bit."

I placed a hand on Ryota's chest when he stepped forward, levelling a stern glare towards him. He returned the glare though soon acquiesced and abruptly left. Confusion flared up in my mind as I had been certain he was going to argue.

"(Y/n)-"
"We need to talk."

Without waiting for Langa's reply, I turned and stalked off to a more secluded area to ensure we had no unwarranted eavesdroppers. He followed, standing a few metres away. His expression was guarded, as if he expected me to attack with either words or punches.

We were both still simmering in mild anger. I had been scared that neither of them would've stopped until one was down yet I could not admit that to Langa...I could not admit that I cared.

"So? Who started the fight? And why?"
"He insulted Ayaka," was his reply.
"Oh of course, your new 'girlfriend'."
"Your boyfriend had quite a lot to say about her. You as well."
"Oh? And what did he say to make you so mad?"
"That I was nothing more than a plaything for you. That you enjoyed toying with people and that's what he loved about you. He also explained very explicitly what kind of activities you two do."
"That asshole..."

I kicked a stone, letting the irritation seep deep into my bones. Ryota had an image to project yet would it honesty kill him to refrain from painting me as a girl who loved sleeping around? Langa watched my reaction, still with the same wary eyes.

A sigh escaped my mouth. Langa was still watching me and that was when I realised that tears were streaming down my cheeks. Ayaka and Reki soon found us, with the former immediately dragging Langa away.

"Don't tell me he made you cry..." Reki started.

I shook my head and hid my face against his chest, not wanting him to worry. His arms tightened around me as he rubbed circles on my back. Soft wind blew against our skin, calming the myriad of nerves hidden beneath my nonchalant facade.

"(Y/n), why won't you tell me what happened?" Reki asked softly.
"...nothing did."
"Did someone threaten you? Is that it?"
"...I'm the one who threatened them."
"Don't joke around. You know what? You're an idiot, an absolute idiot for shouldering everything yourself."

A small giggle escaped my mouth, muffled against his clothing.

"That's not something you should be laughing about," he exclaimed.
"You're an idiot too."
"About that Ryota guy, is he trustworthy? He seems..."
"Don't worry, if you pay him enough, his loyalty knows no bounds."
"I think we should re-evaluate your morals and mentality."
"Oi (Y/n), did you want a rematch for our beef?" asked Joe as he came over, dragging Ryota by the arm.

Reki and I looked at each other, confusion painted across our faces. Cherry trailed the two, staring at them as if they were piles of annoying children set on destroying the world.

"Found him lingering around," Joe added while shoving Ryota forward.

My 'boyfriend' glared at the tall male before reluctantly turning to face me. He held out a beautifully bloomed rose, though the pun was not lost on me. The same usual smirk graced his face, albeit goofier and slightly nervous.

"Sorry princess, forgive me for fighting against your former love?" he apologised.
"...you're an idiot. All of you are."