Chapter 48

(Y/n)'s POV

The air rushed at me as I flipped high above the ground, holding onto my skateboard with one hand. As the gravity pulled me back, I landed near a corner, hurriedly using a hand to push against the ground.

I crouched low, immediately rising as the road straightened. Cherry was beside me within seconds, wasting no time in passing me. I gritted my teeth, accelerating to catch up.

Another corner was up ahead. Cherry rounded it effortlessly, all the while consulting Carla. I decided to follow a different route and slid off the side. A tree branch was in my path. Perfect. My hands grabbed the rough surface and swung my body forward.

As the wind guided me, my feet landed smoothly back onto the ground. Cherry was behind me yet it wouldn't stay that way if I wasn't careful. The abandoned factory was nearing before I accelerated.

"Rose, watch out!" shouted a nearby skater.

A giant pillar fell from the ceiling of the factory. Instinctively I swerved out of the way, when Cherry took the opportunity to jump over my crouched body to gain distance.

I wasted no time getting back on track, scanning the area for any randomised objects I could use. It wasn't until my eyes caught Langa gesturing towards a broken railing and a length of rope attached to the ceiling's framework that I had an idea.

Cherry's eyes widened once he realised what I was going to do. I kicked my board up to slide along the railing before jumping off. As he was moving down the stairs, I swung myself forward using the rope, flipping in the air before landing just as we passed the finish line at the same time.

"Omg! They tied!"

Loud cheering reverberated across the venue, drowning my ears in a sea of noise. Arms came to wrap around me as my legs stumbled. Langa smiled once I met his gaze.

"How are you so amazing?" he murmured.
"*blush* I sometimes wonder how you can say these things."
"Eh?"
"A-anyway, how did you know to come?"
"Your brother texted me. Reki's...he decided to stay at home today."
"Oh..."
"Rose," Cherry exclaimed.

I turned around to face the male. He heaved a great sigh before walking until he was only a few steps away.

"You didn't try," he said.
"What do you mean? If I didn't try-"
"You didn't try your hardest."
"As if you can say that."
"I wanted you to be serious about this," he said, exasperated.

Whispers rose all around as Cherry and I 'argued'. Although we had tied, neither of us had pushed ourselves to our limit. A frown marred my face as I continued to stare at the male in front of me.

"Oi dude, they almost broke the record," someone exclaimed.
"Huh?! Seriously?"
"They said they weren't even super serious though!"
"I'm trying to help you," Cherry breathed in irritation.
"And you did."
"(Y/n), Adam's a fierce opponent."
"I know. Do you not trust me?"
"Whoa, guys. It was a great beef, alright? Cherry, why don't you leave it at that?" Joe asked, hurriedly easing the argument.
"Cherry, I'll try to win. You can count on it. I'm sorry about today, ne?"

He eventually cracked a smile. I gave his hand a grateful squeeze before giving Joe a quick side hug. He shooed us off, shaking his head when I poked my tongue out.

Langa picked up his board, reaching for my hand when I went past. Yuu caught up to us with Miya, briefly glancing at our intertwined hands before losing interest after only a few seconds.

I offered a grin or two when the occasional skater complimented my skills, letting go of Langa's hand when they asked for me to perform a trick. Yuu pulled at the back of my jacket, dragging me away from the crowd all the while texting someone on his phone.

He glared at his phone as we continued to walk, completely lost in his own world. I nudged him before he eventually breathed a frustrated sigh and shoved his phone in his pocket.

"This guy requested I upgrade his gaming console with all these new features and doesn't want to pay the price I said I'd do it for. Said it was too expensive and that I shouldn't scam people for money," he muttered angrily.
"Who does he think he is? What a load of nonsense," said Miya.
"Shall I go beat him up for you?"
"No, it's just...whatever," Yuu replied half-heartedly.

I passed my skateboard and bag to Langa before placing my hands on Yuu's shoulders, stirring him towards the brightly lit city. He turned his gaze upwards to stare at me. A cheeky grin flashed across my face, where he soon too was sporting a small smile.

"Let's go have some fun."

Miya raised an eyebrow, seemingly questioning my idea of fun. An innocent smile tugged at my lips before I went to get my things from Langa. He simply shook his head, saying he could carry them. I smiled at his consideration but took them back anyway.

We walked along the busy, lively streets. A bright, intoxicating atmosphere surrounded us as we made our way down with no particular destination in mind. I pointed to a street food stall before Yuu eagerly went ahead.

A man suddenly whistled as I walked past a narrow alley reeking of alcohol. He made repulsive gestures with his hands, making me walk faster for fear he'd actually touch me.

Langa snaked an arm around my waist, startling me before I eventually eased against his body. It felt as if he had been holding me for an eternity. Warmth spread across my chest as my heart beat faster with every second that passed.

His cheeks were tinged pink but his eyes held a deep concern. 'Are you okay?' they seemed to ask but more importantly, he cared about my thoughts. He would let go if I was uncomfortable.

"Thank you."
"Oi (Y/n), how long are you gonna stare into each other's eyes like some cringey lovestruck couple? Come on, I got us food," exclaimed Yuu.
"Your sister was eyed by some crazy drunkard," Miya said by way of explanation until he glanced at us before adding, "Though I wouldn't be surprised if they were secretly dating."
"Ugh you two, shut up before I sew your mouths closed."
"Um...why would I want to secretly date her if I could just date her openly?" Langa asked, genuinely confused.

I flushed a bright red whilst Miya and Yuu erupted into a mountain load of laughter.