Chapter 86

Langa's POV

Pain locked my heart in a vice-like grip, in a cage with no escape. It exploded in my chest like a ticking time bomb, certain death spelt out in my fate. I clenched my fist, my mouth drawn into a thin line as I walked along the path.

In truth, I had been worried. I...hated her for threatening me, I knew I hated her yet the relief that had overcome me then was immeasurable. Her demeanour remained unchanged in front of Reki, forcing my mind to remember fond memories of her.

~Flashback~

I saw her sitting in the shade of a giant tree, feeding a stray cat. She looked up, smiling a smile brighter than the stars twinkling in the night sky yet could cut deeper than a sharpened blade.

My heart pounded, growing ever stronger when she leaned close to place the cat in my lap. I stroked its fur as (Y/n) leaned back against the tree. I tentatively reached for her hand before she immediately intertwined our fingers as if it were second nature.

"Thanks for agreeing to meet me. I know it's late but I just wanted to be with someone," she exclaimed.
"Of course."

That was when I noticed the small bruise coating her jaw. She seemed to notice me staring, hurriedly looking away to hide the injury. Had someone hit her? Fury lodged in my mind though I was quick to hide it least she retreated into a shell.

"Don't look at me like that. I'm fine."
"How am I looking at you?" I asked.
"Like you're gonna murder whoever did this to me."
"Is that not allowed?"

She stared at me, her stunning eyes catching the moonlight before laughter escaped her mouth, a light bubbly sound. A blush tainted my cheeks. She suddenly leaned against my shoulder, clutching my arm as if she were having a bad dream.

"Are you okay?"
"Sorry, I just- my ribs are kinda sore," she said dismissively.

I wrapped an arm around her waist, pressing down gently. She gasped and squirmed beneath my touch. I stopped, raising an eyebrow before she pouted. Cute.

"You idiot!"

She pushed me away but not before I grabbed her arm and pulled her down with me. The stray cat let out a purr of discomfort and gracefully left my lap to climb onto a nearby bench. (Y/n) was collapsed on top of me though instead of getting up, she simply moved into a more comfortable position.

"(Y/n)?"
"...Langa, thank you."
"For what?"
"I like spending time with you. Somehow you always manage to make me feel better," she whispered.

~Flashback end~

Heartache pounded in my chest though I quickly dismissed the memory as Ayaka happily greeted me from in front of a store. My thoughts were in turmoil and these thoughts only became a raging storm of emotions when Ayaka leaned up, attempting to kiss me.

Instinctively turning my head, she kissed my cheek instead of my lips. I caught the brief flash of hurt across her face. I opened my mouth to offer an apology though she simply shook her head and smiled. Even after spending time with her, I still could not reciprocate her feelings.

"Are you alright?" she asked.
"I'm fine."
"Does it have something to do with (Y/n)?"
"Don't worry about it."
"Langa, you can rely on me. I'll make sure you forget all about her. You won't be in pain anymore once I do."

I let her take my hand though the spark was not there. It was vastly different from (Y/n)'s touch; it didn't leave behind a trail of fiery sparks nor did I feel completely at ease in Ayaka's grasp. It was wrong of me to compare the two of them, especially when (Y/n)...was not who she seemed to be.

We traversed the busy streets and entered a high-end shopping mall. It was late and yet, myriads of people thrived at this time of night. I offered a smile when Ayaka pulled out a cute dress the colour of glistening aquamarine before she headed into the change rooms.

"Didn't expect to bump into you here."

I turned to see Miya staring at me with a contemplative expression. He was alone.

"I came here with Ayaka," I replied.
"Do you trust her over (Y/n)?" he asked, genuinely curious.
"I do."
"Even when you don't know the whole truth?"
"What truth?"
"I was there that night but you wouldn't have seen me. I know what happened."
"Then-"
"Do you honestly believe she'd threaten to kill your mum? Deep down, do you think she's capable of hurting her?"
"She killed her brother."
"Tch, I thought you'd understand. Looks like Ruka's slutty sister has seduced you and poisoned your mind. Oh and a last warning. I heard from Reki that the girl who attacked you has a deep hatred for (Y/n) and her uncle's gang. She's been released but be careful."
"Miya-"
"Also, don't expect me to act like we're chummy friends. Unlike the others, I'm restricting contact with you until you realise your mistake."

He picked up a black beret and went to the counter to pay. A sigh escaped my lips. Arms wrapped around me from behind before Ayaka turned me to face her. She beamed as I looked at the dress.

"Does it suit me?" she shyly asked.

(Y/n)'s image suddenly overcame my vision. She was standing in front of me, smiling that contagiously stunning yet shy smile as she tried on my clothes. A blush coated my cheeks before I remembered where I was.

Ayaka immediately blushed, mistaking my heated cheeks for a meaning I had not meant to convey. I nodded to give an answer to her question. She smiled brighter than the sun and went back to get changed. I suspected she would be purchasing the dress.

Miya's words still ringed in my ears. Why had he said those things to me, knowing how I'd already felt? Was there really a hidden truth I had not seen?