Chapter 55

(Y/n)'s POV

Ruka's group of friends held predatory smiles, beckoning with their elegance and wealth. Their partners were conversing with Azuto not too far from where we stood. The girls immediately scanned Reki and I as we neared.

"That suit is one of the newest designs from Akagawa James (made-up character), isn't it? But if you came from that no name school, how'd you afford it?" asked a girl with long, golden hair done up in a high ponytail.
"He received it as a gift."
"From?" questioned a girl wearing an emerald dress.
"Sakurayashiki Kaoru."
"Wait, the AI calligrapher? Isn't he closely acquainted with James?" a girl with round, hazel eyes asked.
"How do you know him?" the emerald dress girl asked again.
"Surprising that people of your status don't. He's a family friend."

The girls glowered at me. I hadn't known Cherry was a friend of a famous designer. He mustn't have thought it important enough to bring up, though I would say it was a good advantage to have.

"Introduce us to Sakurayashiki-sensei, ne? I want to buy a suit for my friend's birthday. It'll be ideal if I could meet James."
"Girls, no need to ask her of all people. I know him," exclaimed Ruka.
"Oh really? I've never heard him mention your name once," I said lightly, though the mockery was there.
"I assure you, he is an acquaintance of mine."

I didn't know how she'd play this card. As if to prove her point, she pulled out her phone and put it on speaker as a number was dialled. Carla answered with a simple 'hello Ruka-sama'. Surprise filled my eyes though I quickly hid it with disinterest.

"Hello Carla, is the calligraphy I ordered almost finished?" Ruka asked.
"Yes, it will be delivered in a few days," replied Carla.

The girls 'oohed' at her supposedly having connections with Cherry. Reki and I suppressed eye rolls at her petty attempt, knowing fully well that simply ordering a work of art was not harbouring a close relationship with someone.

I had the urge to call Cherry just to spite her; however, held back from having this childish fight with her. Her friends suddenly switched topics and discussed opinions about the 'common people'.

A strong urge to punch them almost overcame me, though I still painted a polite smile onto my face. Reki surreptitiously rubbed circles on my back, yet I could tell he was also looking for something else to do or else he'd snap.

"Hey, what do your parents do?" one of them asked Reki.
"My parents?" he questioned.
"Yes."
"Girls, he's no one special. He's of a lower class than us," Ruka said, smiling viciously.
"Oh, he's one of them."
"So Mr Redhead, would you like me to ask for a towel so you can wipe the floor?" she taunted.

A flash of anger clouded my vision red. His grip on my waist immediately tightened to the point of causing pain, though I wasn't sure if it was because of his own anger or to keep me from having an outburst. I stole a quick glance towards him. A forced smile played at his lips while his eyes held a suppressed fury.

"Wipe the floor? For someone who never cleans up after herself, that's a tall order," Reki exclaimed before I could speak up.
"Did your parents not teach you manners? No wonder they're of a lower class."

Her eyes cut to me. Save him or your family, she seemed to say. She could very well ruin my family or throw Reki to the wolves. I gritted my teeth as the anger overwhelmed my body. Indecision crowded my mind, almost blinding me with its frightening grip.

The girls snickered. Their partners returned from their talk, each smiling that dangerous smile only worn by the devil. Reki was shaking with anger. I could feel it through his trembling arm, through the tight expression he kept on his face.

"Ne Ruka, I found out a big secret."

She raised an eyebrow as if barely holding the will to entertain me. I stepped closer, out of Reki's grasp. Azuto pulled her back ever so slightly, afraid that I would try to harm her like I did her brother. A half-hearted laugh caught in my throat.

"You know, the secret your father tried so desperately to hide. I believe it was out on the media at one point."
"W-what are you talking about?" she seethed.
"You know what I'm talking about."

I stepped closer.

"Drugs, partying with guys a lot older than you, illegal consumption of alcohol. Did you also bribe some people?"
"S-stop, I didn't do any of that..." she breathed fearfully.
"Oh really? I must've misinterpreted the information then."
"Ruka, what are you two whispering about?" a girl questioned.
"(Y/n), that's enough. Stop threatening her. Ruka, let's go," Azuto exclaimed.
"W-where did you hear that information?" Ruka asked.

I simply offered a cheeky grin, completely at odds with the tense atmosphere. The implication was there. I would release it to protect my friends and family, even if I had to become the devil to do it.

Ruka seemed visibly shaken. Azuto levelled a disappointed look towards me before placing an arm around her shoulders to lead her away. Reki touched my arm, his expression unreadable.

"(Y/n)," he started.

A grin graced my face. Adam had sent me the information beforehand, telling me to behave like one of them and that if I should ever lose face, he'd make sure I knew the consequences. I wouldn't let Reki know how much I hated doing this. He needed stability in this shaken place.

"Don't worry, I'm fine. And no, I didn't dig up the info using some shady source. Come on, let's get some food."

Music suddenly started to play as the musicians artfully wove notes into the air. We were standing in the middle of the dance floor. Reki looked at me, waiting for me to decide what to do. I passed the ice packs to a passing waiter and held out my hand.